Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removable front license plate bracket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

slcasner

Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2011
Sunnyvale, CA
In 2009 I designed the license plate bracket pictured below to attach to the tow-hook mount. I had 25 of them fabricated and sold them, then I gave the design to EV Components, which subsequently went out of business. One of the guys who bought one from me has asked for another, so I went back to the fabricator. He has agreed to make some more that he will sell, so I offered to post a note here in case others are interested. I know there have been some questions from new owners in the intervening years about solutions for a removable mount for a front license plate. This bracket was designed for Roadster 1.5, but I believe it fits between the slats on the 2.5 as well. More details are in the attached document. Please PM me if you are interested.

front-view.jpg

Attachments

• instructions.pdf
    416.7 KB · Views: 167
In 2009 I designed the license plate bracket pictured below to attach to the tow-hook mount. I had 25 of them fabricated and sold them, then I gave the design to EV Components, which subsequently went out of business. One of the guys who bought one from me has asked for another, so I went back to the fabricator. He has agreed to make some more that he will sell, so I offered to post a note here in case others are interested. I know there have been some questions from new owners in the intervening years about solutions for a removable mount for a front license plate. This bracket was designed for Roadster 1.5, but I believe it fits between the slats on the 2.5 as well. More details are in the attached document. Please PM me if you are interested.

View attachment 63428

I'll take two :), I've PM you.

I had one of these. It worked on my 2.5 just fine. A minor collision destroyed it and I replaced it with a different aftermarket item which I don't like so much.
(Person made a left turn right in front of me. Grrr...)

Platypus Tow Hook License Plate Mount

This mount looks fine, but my collision experience makes me not like the platypus mount. The issue IMO is crumpling. I want the bracket to take the impact before damaging the towing mount. It seems to me that the platypus mount could damage the tow hook threading. Then maybe your car can no longer be safely towed.

does this work for a 2.0? what is the cost?
Yes, the 2.0 front is the same as the 1.5 Roadster.

- - - Updated - - -

This mount looks fine, but my collision experience makes me not like the platypus mount. The issue IMO is crumpling. I want the bracket to take the impact before damaging the towing mount. It seems to me that the platypus mount could damage the tow hook threading. Then maybe your car can no longer be safely towed.

Both the Platypus and Steve's mount utilize a plastic screw. So in the event of a front impact the screw would break but the threads would be fine. However you have a point, the plastic screw would be embedded inside the threads, so if you wanted to use the tow hook you have to somehow fish the plastic screw out of the threads.

As for not being able to be towed safely, I wouldn't worry. Any experienced tow rig operator would pull the Roadster up on a flatbed by the lower control arms. Many don't trust that tow hook at all and trust the control arms 100%. Makes sense. Two straps (one on each control arm) vs. one single tow hook point does sound like the way to go.

I'm very picky of tow trucks and my car. I watched the tow operator load my Roadster to take it back to Tesla and discussed why he didn't use the tow hook, he said they're too sketchy. He had been towing Roadsters for Tesla / Menlo Park ever since they've been selling them. Control arms were fine during and after the pull, no stress on them, and the Roadster rolled up on the flatbed just fine.

However if the Roadster is disabled on the Road, I'd use the tow hook as the hookup to pull it off the road until a proper tow comes.

Last edited:
IMHO, Tow hooks are best for securing a vehicle that is being towed rather than hauling it onto or off of a transport vehicle.

Control arms are best and safest bet, but be careful as ground valence can be destroyed by a sloppy tow truck operator on any low slung vehicle.

does this work for a 2.0? what is the cost?

In email today, the fabricator said the price would be $60 + $15 flat-rate shipping.

Yes, the 2.0 front is the same as the 1.5 Roadster.

Right. I think there was a variant some called 2.25 when the front changed?

Both the Platypus and Steve's mount utilize a plastic screw.

No, the ones I sold were with a 10x35mm hex socket-head steel bolt.

Your bracket came included with my car (bought @ 3k miles), but it used the stock plastic tow hook bolt. I guess they opted not to install the steel bolt. Thanks for clarifying.

It may have been my design as sold by EV Components. I think they may have shipped the bracket by itself without the additional bolt, lock washer, and allen wrench that I included.

I'm surprised that the large head of the plastic bolt would fit inside the nose of the bracket, and even if it did fit, that it would hold securely.