Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plug-in Prius Owner Thinking Of Switching

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK so I've had a plug-in Prius for almost 2 years now. Never really considered the Tesla prior to the recent AWD announcement due to funds and climate (I'm in western Canada).

Things are in a better shape now, my business has done decently well the last few years, Sun Country is putting up charging stations across the land, and I'm getting tired of having basically no EV range. I have a taste for EV but it's just not doing it for me. Not to mention I need to run the gas engine to get heat on my PHV Prius.

Any other Prius plug-in owner converts here? I have watched at least 25 hours of Model S footage on YouTube in the last week, I am totally hooked now.

I will start another thread another day but the big things holding me back right now from placing an order are concerns about service, warranty, etc. I'm about 1,700+ km from the Vancouver Tesla sales store, and the next nearest place would be the Calgary service center which is also not open yet. I want to be sure that if I need help I can really use that Ranger service and have someone fix my car. I'm not exactly in a thriving metropolis LOL.

Also wondering, would I really pick up the car in Vancouver and drive 1,700km home or would they deliver it? I don't know how this works.

Even if I don't buy a Tesla in the next few months like I'm hoping to do, I just know it will be my next vehicle when it's time to replace my current PHV. I'm also tired of the old fashioned dealership model. And I'm discouraged from same dealerships/manufacturers when they are deliberately interfering with allowing Tesla to do test drives and sales in US states. The future is coming guys, get with the program.

I was going to buy a Prius Plug-In but it was really difficult to get the dealer to do anything about making it happen. Never could even test drive a regular Prius.
So my attention went to the Leaf and Ford Focus Energi. Ford disqualified themselves by showing me a car that hadn't ever been brought out of the off-site 'storage lot' and never charged up. Battery empty actually, had to test drive in gas mode which was a waste of time. (And SYNC is bleaaaugh)
OK, so it's the Leaf for sure. Nissan dealer actually wanted to sell electric cars! :)
But I just kept seeing the Tesla. It was only twice the price of a Leaf but with three times the range. And huuuge on the inside...
Test drove, and it was all over but the color selection :)

But I just kept seeing the Tesla. It was only twice the price of a Leaf but with three times the range. And huuuge on the inside...
Test drove, and it was all over but the color selection :)

Wise choice. But are you saying that a base Model S 60 was, after rebates and credits, just twice the price of a Leaf? I thought it was significantly more than twice the price.

Wise choice. But are you saying that a base Model S 60 was, after rebates and credits, just twice the price of a Leaf? I thought it was significantly more than twice the price.

Yeah, the Leafs as equipped that I liked... Plus an upgraded charger or something to be able to use RV plugs... Well that's how I remember it now! The Tesla is just so easy.
My intro: Hi, I'm Rick and my brain is over half a century old.

"I have watched at least 25 hours of Model S footage on YouTube in the last week, I am totally hooked now"
That's where it starts! :smile: Then countless of hours on the TMC forums, etc.
Good luck, I hope you work out the details.

Just some food for thought: I live in Minnesota and I am having my first winter in my RWD Model S on Michelin X ice snow tires. The car has done very well in the snow in temps to -15f.

I think used RWD Model S can be bought for a nice discount and with good snow tires you will be well equipped and could save a lot of money. Get some chains too if you want. Another bonus is you may not have to wait if you buy a used or discounted RWD.