Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: maintenance costs each year ?

Icon5 maintenance costs each year ?

hi,

I would be glad to know, how much are the average maintenance costs of the tesla roadster are ? can you calculate that?

for example the battery lasts for 7 years I heard. So I have no costs in rely on batteries for the first 7 years

would be great If I can get a exact value.

Blog Entries
    Assuming an average 10,000 miles per year, a 7 year battery life:

Battery cost up-front: $12,000
    Rear tires last 7,500 miles Yokohama Neova AD07 LTS: $270 each
    Front tires last 20,000 $192 each
    Washer bottle fluid $5
    Annual inspection by Tesla $0-a few hundred depending on if you take it to them or they come to you.

So that's about $1,714 for battery, $867 for tires and $5 for sundry items = $2,586.

I'll skip insurance at ~$1,000 per year as that's so variable.

How does that compare to a 911 GT3?

2010 2.0 Roadster Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by MPT View Post
    Annual inspection by Tesla $0-a few hundred depending on if you take it to them or they come to you.
    The annual inspection is included (besides getting the car to them, or them to the car)? I don't remember that being spelled out anywhere (maybe I haven't paid enough attention). Mine is just under 6 months away from its first annual inspection.

Icon5

Quote Originally Posted by tennis_trs View Post
    The annual inspection is included (besides getting the car to them, or them to the car)? I don't remember that being spelled out anywhere (maybe I haven't paid enough attention). Mine is just under 6 months away from its first annual inspection.
    you mean you do not have to pay for the annual inspection?
    it´s included at all?

I just want to know exactely the average annual maintenance costs of the tesla roadster. so I know the battery costs me 12.000 bucks at the 7th year, so for a year it would be 1714 bucks, only for the battery. what about normal maintenance costs each year, like (inspection, fluids,etc.)

so 1714 + other maintenance costs (other costs excepting tires, insurance, electricity)

thank you for that

you mean you do not have to pay for the annual inspection?
    it´s included at all?
    I don't think he means a state inspection. Tesla wants to look at the car once a year.

Sales Advisor

Annual Inspection Checklist:

1. Inspect operation of all parts of the car electrically including lights

2. Evacuate and recharge the A/C refrigerant

3. Check chassis/tires/brakes

4. Remove PEM and clean air cooled heat sinks

5. Test motor and cable integrity

6. Update firmware level

7. Reset service indicator

8. Apply all outstanding bulletin/campaigns

9. Charge Battery

10. Clean car

Some Service FAQs:

Q: Why do you check the HVAC charge? No other OEM’s recommend regular A/C service?

A: True, other OEMs recommend HVAC service as needed, but not as part of regular scheduled service. On Tesla Roadsters, we rely on HVAC to cool the battery during charge. If the HVAC is undercharged or not functioning properly, it may cause charging issues. It is important to know the system is properly functioning properly so charging is not affected.

Q: Why do we remove the PEM during service?

A: The PEM is air cooled and the heat sinks used for cooling are on the underside. To access these, we must remove the PEM and turn it upside down. At this point we check the motor and cable too. A high level of current is passed through the motor cable. If any degradation exists, the cable may breakdown over time and cause the car to not drive. It is possible through testing to mitigate this .

Q: Why does the brake fluid need changing every two years regardless of mileage?

A: Brake fluid is hydroscopic, which means it absorbs water. Over time the brake fluid will accumulate moisture. When the brakes are operated they generate high temps in the brake fluid. If moisture exists, it may cause the water to boil and steam and cause an air pocket in the fluid line. The result may be a spongy pedal or brake problem.

In a nut shell, you can drive this vehicle 15,000 + miles a year for less than $1,200 ($0.03 mile x 15,000 = $450 + $599 annual service)... less than what it costs to fuel most sports cars on a yearly basis!

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Seneca_Chicago; 2010-02-23 at 09:54 AM.

2010 2.0 Roadster Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Seneca_Chicago View Post
    In a nut shell, you can drive this vehicle 15,000 + miles a year for less than $1,200 ($0.03 mile x 15,000 = $450 + $599 annual service)... less than what it costs to fuel most sports cars on a yearly basis!
    Not that it makes a significant difference, but I thought that annual service was one year or 12,000 miles (not 15,000).

The 2010 Owner's Manual:
    Take your vehicle to Tesla Motors at the
    regularly scheduled maintenance intervals of
    every 12 months, or every 12,000 miles
    (20,000 kms), whichever comes first.

Sales Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by tennis_trs View Post
    Not that it makes a significant difference, but I thought that annual service was one year or 12,000 miles (not 15,000).
    I was using the 15,000 mile example for the energy usage calculation which is shown on the EPA labels within Monroney Labels affixed to all new cars.

If you did it based on 12,000 miles year it would be ($0.03/mi x 12,000) + $599 = $959

Blog Entries
    Thanks Seneca_Chicago, add $600 to my number for service then; so:

So that's about $1,714 for battery, $867 for tires, $599 service and $5 for sundry items = $3,185 per annum.

Let's add fuel for that 10,000 miles. At a hearty 280wh/mile (I range from 190-350 depending upon mood), that's another $336 at $0.12 per unit of electricity.

(compared to a 18mpg GT3 at $2.80/gal that's $1,556)

The grand total then:
    $1,714 for battery, $867 for tires, $599 service, $336 for power and $5 for sundry items = $3,521 per annum.

Sales Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by MPT View Post
    Thanks Seneca_Chicago, add $600 to my number for service then; so:

So that's about $1,714 for battery, $867 for tires, $599 service and $5 for sundry items = $3,185 per annum.

Let's add fuel for that 10,000 miles. At a hearty 280wh/mile (I range from 190-350 depending upon mood), that's another $336 at $0.12 per unit of electricity.

(compared to a 18mpg GT3 at $2.80/gal that's $1,556)

The grand total then:
    $1,714 for battery, $867 for tires, $599 service, $336 for power and $5 for sundry items = $3,521 per annum.
    Not everyone purchases the Battery Replacement option or replaces tires annually which would significantly lower your annualized cost to $940. Your scenario is an "all-in" case and everyone's is different. But the old adage seems to apply nonetheless; "you've got to pay to play"

Thread Information