Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster Crashed in Alaska (now repaired)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Roadster Totaled in Alaska

From the article it sounds like the car did an excellent job protecting the driver, and he walked away with only minor injuries. Sad there's one less Roadster in the world though.

Last edited:
I'm glad the driver is safe.
I think I found a photo online, back right looks like it took most of the damage.
1apture.png

Maybe Spaceballs can get his ESS???

I was surprised how much the last crashed roadster went for at auction $26,500.

Last edited:
Yes, very happy he came out of it unharmed.

Looks like the rear subframe took the majority of the hit as well as the rear wishbone. As long as the frame is fine by the wishbone and its not bent to me it looks restorable. Roadsters have been hit back there (from doing 180s) and were successfully repaired. But the truth is getting a closer look at it. Hopefully he can buy it back and fix her back up.

Why was he driving in conditions like that? From the article it sounded like all the roads were covered in sheets of ice. Possibly around where he lived it wasn't as bad and he didn't hit worse until he was further along in his journey. I personally wouldn't even take mine out in snow if I had no need to. The car is too rare, the risk too high, and even though you may be a great driver its the other person on the road who I can confirm first hand that's not!

Last edited:
...Why was he driving in conditions like that? From the article it sounded like all the roads were covered in sheets of ice. Possibly around where he lived it wasn't as bad and he didn't hit worse until he was further along in his journey. I personally wouldn't even take mine out in snow if I had no need to. The car is too rare, the risk too high, and even though you may be a great driver its the other person on the road who I can confirm first hand that's not!

Up here in Washington in fall I've see perfectly drivable weather turn to freezing within a few miles and elevation change where black ice formed and a few cars ahead of me spun out and one flipped over. Nobody expected it, sometimes conditions can change faster than people plan for.

Jack - it's good to hear you're okay. Do you mind sharing with us the kind and condition of tires you had on?

Unfortunately if there was ice on the road, it really wouldn't matter what condition your tires were in. The only tire that works on ice are studded ones. But then soon as you're on part of the road with no ice, its like you're on ice with studs! Had my friend rear end someone since he tried to brake on the road (no ice) with studs. They don't stop well on regular pavement hence why they're illegal in some states.

I use to drive back east in all types of black ice, its a different style of driving for sure. But if you're on a road that's totally fine without knowing that there is black ice on the road ahead, that's where the trouble begins. Nobody and no car can be prepared for that situation. Just have to hope that if and when you spin out that you don't hit anyone or anything.

As for the Roadster being totaled/restored. If any part of the main cabin's carbon fiber is damaged, it most likely will be totaled by the insurance company. If its not bad you could patch it with carbon fiber yourself or have someone do it who's good. I've used carbon fiber to re-enforce the transom on my fiberglass boat, its the same thing as fiberglass work when you look at it.

But the key area I'd look at for damage would be where the passenger rear wishbone connects to the extruded aluminum frame. If that's damaged its doing to get difficult or impossible to fix. I can't get a good view of the wishbone, but hopefully the rear hub snapped off cleanly and took the brunt of the impact along with the wheel.

If you can get any good closeup pics of that area that'd be key.

Last edited:
Unfortunately if it was ice on the road it wouldn't matter what condition your tires were in. Only tire that works on ice are studded ones. But then soon as you're on part of the road with no ice, its like you're on ice with studs! Had my friend rear end someone since he tried to brake on the road (no ice) with studs. They don't stop well on regular pavement hence why they're illegal in some states.

You obviously haven't driven on Hakkapeliitta R2s. There's nothing wrong with driving a Roadster in the winter. It has excellent traction control and I've gone places that many other front and rear wheel drive cars could not.

- - - Updated - - -

(I think studded tires are illegal / discouraged because of the damage they do to roads when no snow or ice is present. I've never experienced difficulty stopping with studded tires on dry pavement.)

That's correct.

You obviously haven't driven on Hakkapeliitta R2s. There's nothing wrong with driving a Roadster in the winter. It has excellent traction control and I've gone places that many other front and rear wheel drive cars could not.

Getting going is one thing, that's not a problem and I hear you about having proper traction control. But R2s nor TC are not going to help anyone or any car where the inertia is pushing the rear of the car outwards as you're turning inwards. It'll spin like a top on ice. Especially with the weight favored to the rear of the Roadster. I've driven many 4wheelers on ponds, same thing, accelerate slow your fine, start turning with speed and momentum and you're a fish out of water.

In the case of where you're driving, expecting black ice/frozen road conditions and keep the wheels moving, don't use the brakes hard, allow TC to work and the compound of the R2s to connect at their optimum traction on the ice you're in a better situation and can work the conditions with your head and knowledge of how your car handles. But this is the case you're in control, expecting it, and preparing for it. Its when traction has broken unexpectedly that's the issue. Its hard enough regaining the tail of the Roadster breaking loose in perfectly dry and heated conditions, I can't imagine how fast it'll pull around lowering the friction back there from cold and ice/snow on the road.

- - - Updated - - -

(I think studded tires are illegal / discouraged because of the damage they do to roads when no snow or ice is present. I've never experienced difficulty stopping with studded tires on dry pavement.)

" some studies also suggest that studded tires may increase
stopping distance during dry conditions."

http://vtransengineering.vermont.gov/sites/aot_program_development/files/documents/materialsandresearch/completedprojects/Impacts_of_Studded_Tires_on_Pavement_Web.pdf

Its like trying to stop without a tire but on a rim. Its metal contact raising you from the rubber of the tire that's connected to the hard road, of course it will increase your stopping distance. Its interesting that its been found studded tires can actually stop you quicker than regular winter snow tires on wet pavement. I presume the studs are digging and biting into the pavement rather than skating across in that case.

Yes, it appears they indeed do cause damage to roads as you indicated that's the main reason they're made illegal in certain states.

Last edited:
" some studies also suggest that studded tires may increase
stopping distance during dry conditions."

http://vtransengineering.vermont.go.../Impacts_of_Studded_Tires_on_Pavement_Web.pdf

Its like trying to stop without a tire but on a rim! Its metal to the road, of course it will increase your stopping distance. Yes they do cause damage to roads, but chains are far far worse.

But even this report you cite doesn't seem too convinced of any problems - and is more focused on impact to the roads than any safety issue.

Given the information presented in this study, proposing regulations that would ban the use of
studs in the summertime is seen as a possible option, as it would not affect many citizens overall. This being
the case, however, it must be considered as to whether or not it is worthwhile to put forth the effort to do so,
as enacting this type of regulation most likely will not have a large effect on the roadways or provide much
benefit to the population as a whole.

And nahhh, it's not like trying to stop on a rim. It's like trying to stop with lots of little studs digging into the pavement. That's why it tears it up. It's nothing like trying to stop on rims.

- The Voice of Experience :)

But even this report you cite doesn't seem too convinced of any problems - and is more focused on impact to the roads than any safety issue.

And nahhh, it's not like trying to stop on a rim. It's like trying to stop with lots of little studs digging into the pavement. That's why it tears it up. It's nothing like trying to stop on rims.

- The Voice of Experience :)

This guy is describing how the car drifts on dry pavement with studded tires, hence my metal (rim) to dry pavement comparison. To me that's very sketchy. And I have a friend who rear ended someone who vouched the car just skidded like a sled into the back of the other car, hence no traction. If you try to accelerate quick with studded tires, the wheel will sit there and spin for a bit. I'm sure there's some variance. Meaning if the pavement is smooth and hard, the studs will skid. However if the pavement has a bunch of little divots where the studs can dig in, then in essence, the studs can stop quicker in dry pavement over regular tires if the conditions are right.

Last edited by a moderator: