Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range of opticoat coats or quotes!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine was $650, including a full color correction (swirl removal), including coating the windshield and headlights.

While the guy did a fantastic and detailed job for a great price, I'm not too happy with Opticoat-pro itself. I've posted before, it seems like my car finish is now an extreme fingerprint magnet, much more so than before, and more so than other MSs without the treatment. And the car isn't any easier to wash nor does it resist dirt any differently. If I had a choice again, I wouldn't do it.

Is it possible to remove the Opticoat-pro and get one of the other finishes?

• Helpful
Reactions: jrad6515
Quoted $800 in Phoenix 5 months ago - yikes. Bought the kit from Amazon for around $70 and did it myself. Took about 2 hours on a one day Tesla. Good cleaning and then applied with my wife doing touch behind me.

That is not the same stuff. The real OptiCoat Pro is only sold to professional detailers from Optimum directly, and it's something like $250 per bottle. You bought the consumer grade stuff that doesn't last nearly as long and is now discontinued and no longer made.

The new consumer product, which can last up to 2 years, is called Opti Gloss Coat. It's the newer version of the consumer OptiCoat 2.0 product. Many detailers are using this product now because it has less of a rubbery finish than the Pro version, and much cheaper. I paid $375 for paint correction and Opti Gloss Coat. If using the Pro version, then it would have been double.

Be careful not to pay those high prices if your Detailer is using only the Opti Gloss Coat and not the Pro version. I think your better off just doing the Gloss Coat anyway!

instead of paying someone else to do it, I bought a DA Polisher, various pads, HD Polish, HD Adapt, IronX, Nanoskin Autoscrub, Sonic's wheel cleaner, various cloths, and 22ple(coating), and other various detailing items for a total thats less than what paying the cheapest detailer would have been for doing the job once. except now that I can do it as many times as I like and as often as I like. though I don't expect to need to do a paint correction again now that I have two coats of 22ple on. saved myself lots of $$$.

instead of paying someone else to do it, I bought a DA Polisher, various pads, HD Polish, HD Adapt, IronX, Nanoskin Autoscrub, Sonic's wheel cleaner, various cloths, and 22ple(coating), and other various detailing items for a total thats less than what paying the cheapest detailer would have been for doing the job once. except now that I can do it as many times as I like and as often as I like. though I don't expect to need to do a paint correction again now that I have two coats of 22ple on. saved myself lots of $$$.

This!

That is not the same stuff. The real OptiCoat Pro is only sold to professional detailers from Optimum directly, and it's something like $250 per bottle. You bought the consumer grade stuff that doesn't last nearly as long and is now discontinued and no longer made.

The new consumer product, which can last up to 2 years, is called Opti Gloss Coat. It's the newer version of the consumer OptiCoat 2.0 product. Many detailers are using this product now because it has less of a rubbery finish than the Pro version, and much cheaper. I paid $375 for paint correction and Opti Gloss Coat. If using the Pro version, then it would have been double.

Be careful not to pay those high prices if your Detailer is using only the Opti Gloss Coat and not the Pro version. I think your better off just doing the Gloss Coat anyway!

Good info. I figured it was all just Marketing and labeling. The installer I talked to indicated that it would need to be re-done every 2 or 3 years using the OptiCoat Pro.

Good info. I figured it was all just Marketing and labeling. The installer I talked to indicated that it would need to be re-done every 2 or 3 years using the OptiCoat Pro.

Yep, my detailer was telling me so many of these detailers go around charging $700-800+ and are just installing Opti-Coat 2.0 (consumer stuff at $60 a tube) vs the Opti-Coat Pro which is expensive. This is because many of the detailers are not able to get in with Optimum and purchase it unless they are authorized to do so some how but aren't transparent and don't tell their customers about this because most are uneducated on the subject.

At the end of the day, the Opti-Coat Pro stuff gives the paint a weird texture and a lot of people have stopped recommending it in favor of the new Opti Gloss-Coat product (which is the replacement for the consumer Opti-Coat 2.0 $60 stuff). It goes on much easier (almost anyone can do it now) and you need to redo it every 2-3 years which shouldn't be an issue for most people.

No one at this point should be spending over $450 to get Opti-coating done! Go with Gloss-Coat and like the guy above, just do it yourself. Get a DA polisher, decent cutting pad with Adam's polish or even Meguiers stuff, then apply Opti Gloss-Coat with a foam pad. It's not hard and I wont be paying someone else to do it again- its simple!

FWIW, my understanding is that an authorized Opti-Coat Pro detailer will be able to give you a warranty sticker direct from Optimum. It's the best (only?) way to tell if you got what you paid for.

I haven't heard of this- but sounds like that should happen if charging those crazy prices for the Pro stuff.

I am willing to bet many (if not most) of the people in this thread who paid those outrageous prices for Opti-Coat Pro did not get that sticker, and may even be running Opti-Coat 2.0 or Gloss Coat because their detailer didn't have access to the Pro formula and just put on the consumer stuff that anyone can buy.

Mine was $650, including a full color correction (swirl removal), including coating the windshield and headlights.

While the guy did a fantastic and detailed job for a great price, I'm not too happy with Opticoat-pro itself. I've posted before, it seems like my car finish is now an extreme fingerprint magnet, much more so than before, and more so than other MSs without the treatment. And the car isn't any easier to wash nor does it resist dirt any differently. If I had a choice again, I wouldn't do it.

Is it possible to remove the Opticoat-pro and get one of the other finishes?

Something does not sound right at all with your installation. The car should be perfect and stripped of any any fillers or glazes before applying it. Did you get a warranty card and registration by your installer as the pro version comes with this? Installer should also install the entire 15cc and for a Tesla that could cover it twice.

Opti-Coat Pro most definitely makes it easier to wash and it should remain clean way longer. Our customer cars come in for washes on a regular basis and the Opti-Coated ones are a dream to wash as it just comes right off with the foam gun or hose.

- - - Updated - - -

Pro does not need to reapplied every 2-3 years, that is misinformation. It has a 5 year warranty on new cars but will last indefinitely unless its removed by compounding or polishing. We do Gloss coat and Pro versions at our shop as like you said the gloss is less for the wallet short term but if you are keeping the car longer than 5 years than it will cost more in the long run since it will need reapplication every 2 years.

Gloss Coat is a new product all together and not a new version of 2.0. 2.0 was completely discontinued because like what others have said many were selling it as the pro version.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, my detailer was telling me so many of these detailers go around charging $700-800+ and are just installing Opti-Coat 2.0 (consumer stuff at $60 a tube) vs the Opti-Coat Pro which is expensive. This is because many of the detailers are not able to get in with Optimum and purchase it unless they are authorized to do so some how but aren't transparent and don't tell their customers about this because most are uneducated on the subject.

At the end of the day, the Opti-Coat Pro stuff gives the paint a weird texture and a lot of people have stopped recommending it in favor of the new Opti Gloss-Coat product (which is the replacement for the consumer Opti-Coat 2.0 $60 stuff). It goes on much easier (almost anyone can do it now) and you need to redo it every 2-3 years which shouldn't be an issue for most people.

No one at this point should be spending over $450 to get Opti-coating done! Go with Gloss-Coat and like the guy above, just do it yourself. Get a DA polisher, decent cutting pad with Adam's polish or even Meguiers stuff, then apply Opti Gloss-Coat with a foam pad. It's not hard and I wont be paying someone else to do it again- its simple!

Yep, that was happening for sure where some were installing 2.0 as Pro. Never good to mislead.

As for stopping the recommendations that mostly has to do with what you pointed out, they can't get it since they are not dealers ;). You can see who that would lead to not recommending it or recommending another product. That does not mean its not the superior product though. Gloss needs to be reapplied every 2 years so after 2nd application the lower cost is not really that much lower anymore. Gloss does seem to feel a bit more slick than the pro version but not heard about pro having a weird texture before. Wondering if your installation was not leveled all the way?

Pro also comes with a primer so its more time consuming to apply. It dries much quicker than 2.0 or the new Gloss coating which were designed to dry slower to make it easier for a consumer to apply. If you miss a high spot when applying it you will have to polish it off to remove it. We actually switched over to spraying it on as it can go on at 3 times thicker than the applicator method using a paint meter to verify it. It also has no high spots so it does not even require leveling. Overall we are having great success so far spraying it on. Uses a bit more product but thats negated as install time comes down.

As for not spending more than $450 to get it done would be impossible. The pro version comes with a warranty and has to be registered by the installer on Optimum's site. This also comes with pricing requirements that are above your stated amount. We also include correction in with our pricing which will cover any new vehicle or one with some minor swirls, anything beyond that or requiring more time are an additional cost. I rarely see a car that does not need some correcting before application.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't heard of this- but sounds like that should happen if charging those crazy prices for the Pro stuff.

I am willing to bet many (if not most) of the people in this thread who paid those outrageous prices for Opti-Coat Pro did not get that sticker, and may even be running Opti-Coat 2.0 or Gloss Coat because their detailer didn't have access to the Pro formula and just put on the consumer stuff that anyone can buy.

Pro should most definitely come with registering of the warranty. 2.0 supplies are running out so passing it off as pro should fade here shortly.

Something does not sound right at all with your installation. The car should be perfect and stripped of any any fillers or glazes before applying it. Did you get a warranty card and registration by your installer as the pro version comes with this? Installer should also install the entire 15cc and for a Tesla that could cover it twice.

Opti-Coat Pro most definitely makes it easier to wash and it should remain clean way longer. Our customer cars come in for washes on a regular basis and the Opti-Coated ones are a dream to wash as it just comes right off with the foam gun or hose.

I did not get a warranty card or registration.. but he's done dozens of Model Ss (I got his name here on TCF, he came highly recommended from several people). He did a complete strip/wash and color correction before applying the Opticoat Pro. I'm pretty sure it was Pro since it came in a big hypodermic and not a consumer kit. He really seemed like he knew what he was doing and took his time to methodically apply the OCP in small square segments all over the car... and I don't think the end result was his fault. My car was 10 months old and a Tesla Inventory car, so I'd guess it didn't have any other coatings on it, just some swirls which he removed before application. I'm not sure what to do now -- can it be removed and re-applied correctly? The coating definitely has a very slight "tacky" feel to it (I did let it cure for two days in the garage before driving it)... as if I run my hand down the side, it's not as smooth as an uncoated car. And it attracts fingerprints like an old TV attracts dust in the winter.

I did not get a warranty card or registration.. but he's done dozens of Model Ss (I got his name here on TCF, he came highly recommended from several people). He did a complete strip/wash and color correction before applying the Opticoat Pro. I'm pretty sure it was Pro since it came in a big hypodermic and not a consumer kit. He really seemed like he knew what he was doing and took his time to methodically apply the OCP in small square segments all over the car... and I don't think the end result was his fault. My car was 10 months old and a Tesla Inventory car, so I'd guess it didn't have any other coatings on it, just some swirls which he removed before application. I'm not sure what to do now -- can it be removed and re-applied correctly? The coating definitely has a very slight "tacky" feel to it (I did let it cure for two days in the garage before driving it)... as if I run my hand down the side, it's not as smooth as an uncoated car. And it attracts fingerprints like an old TV attracts dust in the winter.

How long ago did you get it done? Opti-Coat Pro only comes with a warranty now but it was available with or without a warranty just a few months back so maybe you got it done before the new requirements were in place or the installer had some product previous to new warranty only installs. Opti-Coat Pro, Gloss Coat, and Leather coatings all come in the hypodermic applicator. To remove it you have to compound or polish the paint depending on how thick it was applied. With the standard applicator pad it goes on about 2 microns thick if the 15cc's are used. No reason to remove it unless it has high spots, you can just apply more over the existing coat if its having an issue.

• Did the installer prime the surface before applying it? Pro comes with a primer that is put on like a liquid wax before the coating is applied.
  • Did the installer do more than one coat? Typical applications come with enough to do two coats. We also do the wheels with the extra amount left.
  • When washing the car it should bead the water like crazy. If its not then it was applied to thin or you have some other problem with its application.

When curing the first 72hrs are the most important. Don't touch or get wet during that time. It will harden fully over the first 30 days. It will become less grabby like your explaining over that time frame as it hardens. If you want that smooth feeling you can certainly apply a wax/sealant on top of the Opti-Coat. Even though its not needed we do it on our cars on a regular basis as it increases its hydrophobic properties.

Sorry you have had a poor experience with the product. Thats pretty unusual as most love it. You said your installer was highly recommended though. I would go to him with your concerns and see if he will check its condition and correct it if you really do have a problem with it. Even without a warranty I know I would make sure my customer was happy.

autoskinz:
-how long have you been using Opti-Coat Pro?
-how many vehicles have you done?
-do you know of another product that is as good as Opti-Coat Pro?
-where in California are you located?

-We just recently switched to Pro this year when we became a dealer of Optimum. Made sense for us as 2.0 is no more and we have had good success with the Optimum line. Been using 2.0 for many years though. We do carry Gloss Coating for those with a smaller budget or no need for long term protection. Had my hands on some Pro here and there over the past couple years so not exactly new to it.
-Don't really keep count but would guess hundreds by now (including other coatings).
-Nothing is better of course, I am an Opti-Coat dealer :) IMO I prefer Opti-Coat over them all but have nothing against the others. Some great products out there. We really like the Optimum line of products as a whole, so we try to use them mostly. Long as you understand no product is a magic bullet.
-We are in Valencia or as many explain its near Magic Mountain.

In the end, the quality of your installer is the key. We approach the way we care for our client's cars like a physician approaches caring for a patient. You need to evaluate the vehicle, listen to client and his/her needs, then come up with a solution that is the best fit for the vehicle and its owner. The WHY of a particular product or procedure should be just as important as the BRAND of product. I cannot tell you how many times clients will call me and say "I want the XPEL stuff and OptiCoat"...I ask them to let me know a little about their car and their use, and why they feel those products are the match for them. Most of the time, they just read it here and are following the advice of others. Although great products, it may not be right for YOU and YOUR situation.

Always better to give as much info about your needs and wants and let the professional give you the advice you're paying him/her to give you. Seldom are two installers alike, hence why you may get different recommendations and different pricing. You're ultimately paying for the experience, expertise, value, and "network" of the installer you're about to tap yourself into. As in business, you will pay more for results...because in the long run, it saves you money. So, next time if you're wondering why someone is charging $600 and another quoted you $1200, ask them to walk you through their routine and what is included. Don't be sticker shocked and turned off by the higher number. If anything, be intrigued WHY? You may be surprised what VALUE is behind that larger number that trumps the lower cost of the lower quote.