Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario green plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
As Tesla owners we can get green plates that let a single passenger vehicle use an HOV lane. It is clear to me that this definitely applies to the 400 series highways plus the QEW. But does this also apply to HOV lanes in the city like Eglinton Ave in Toronto?

And it appears these of these advantages expire in mid 2015. Anyone know if this is likely to be extended? I expect to get my P85D in December and I am wondering whether it is worth bothering to get green plates.

I have a vanity plate, so it is not green. However, I do drive in the HOV lanes. I figure since I am driving a car that qualifies, the color of my plate shouldn't matter imo.
I'm waiting to see if I will get a ticket. I asked a policeman that I know, and he didn't have an answer.
I'll let you know if I get a ticket.

I honestly regretted ordering vanity plates at first when I saw the green plates with the white flower in the middle installed on my car; they looked really nice and rare.
When my vanity plates arrived, I had to swap them because I already paid for them. However, now that everyone smiles when they see my plates (FUELLESS), I feel a bit relieved.
Green vanity plates would be interesting though! But unfortunately, the advantages of the green plates in Ontario are vague and minimal.

and what would happen if you were driving an EV with Quebec green plates?

Me: Hello, I will be visiting from the province of Quebec in an electric vehicle which has special Green license plates. May I use the HOV lanes even if I am the only passenger?

Senior Enquiry Analyst, Licensing Administration & Support Office, Ministry of Transportation, Downsview, Ontario: Thank you for your email. While the HOV lanes are available for vehicles carrying at least two occupants, the single occupancy electric vehicle eligibility is only available for those electric vehicles plated with the green Ontario licence plates. However, should your vehicle have more than one passenger, it is eligible for HOV use.

A bit off-topic, but does anyone have any idea why I keep seeing Volts with green tags? I thought that there was a minimum battery capacity in order to qualify.
Starting with 2015 Volts with the 17.1 kWh battery, they get the full rebate which tops out at 17 kWh. Before that we had to settle for $8231 (16-16.5 kWh).

The minimum battery capacity to qualify for the rebate and green plates is 4 kWh.

Last edited:
My sources at the MTO tell me the HOV access will end as planned.

Personally, I do not use the HOV lanes when alone because I am concerned about what others may see as a "rich person driving a Tesla" getting another free benefit. I also believe that ICE cars are more efficient and emit less pollutants when operating at speed vs. idling, whereas there is no environmental disadvantage to an EV "idling" in the slow lane.

Personally, I do not use the HOV lanes when alone because I am concerned about what others may see as a "rich person driving a Tesla" getting another free benefit. I also believe that ICE cars are more efficient and emit less pollutants when operating at speed vs. idling, whereas there is no environmental disadvantage to an EV "idling" in the slow lane.

Right on man, definitely respect those points of view :cool: