Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking about how useful these satellites can be for all Tesla EV's, besides a higher quality internet connection.

In what ways could these satellites be useful for the navigation and autopilot functionality of all the Tesla EV's?

Could these satellites (because there will be so many of them) be useful to pinpoint the exact location of all the Tesla EV's? Maybe even up to the millimeter level?

Because that could be really useful.

Currently there is GPS (24 satellites). But GPS has a certain margin of error, so there certainly is room for improvement. I think that you could do that with a system that has 700 satellites.

I am interested in other people's thoughts and opinions as well.

I was thinking about how useful these satellites can be for all Tesla EV's, besides a higher quality internet connection.

In what ways could these satellites be useful for the navigation and autopilot functionality of all the Tesla EV's?

Could these satellites (because there will be so many of them) be useful to pinpoint the exact location of all the Tesla EV's? Maybe even up to the millimeter level?

Because that could be really useful.

Currently there is GPS (24 satellites). But GPS has a certain margin of error, so there certainly is room for improvement. I think that you could do that with a system that has 700 satellites.

I am interested in other people's thoughts and opinions as well.

For a GPS like system you need hyper-precise, hyper-accurate cesium clocks. These won't be cheap to launch into orbit any time soon. So I would doubt it. But the US Military generally can get within a foot of accuracy with GPS. And if you start using civillian GLONASS, GPS, and others going online. It is quite possible consumer items will be within a 20-30 cm in a decade.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Super high speed internet, available everywhere at low cost is itself something that must come about sometime.

But, there must be more to it. It's a very strategic move.

But this network of satellites must have a connection with the (future) autopilot-functionality of the Tesla EV's.

We know that it will take a long time before cars will be technically fully able to drive autonomous from A to B (about 10 years?).

And as time goes by, the level of autonomous driving will increase: 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90%, 91%, 92%, 93%, 94%, 95%, 96%, 97%, 98%, 99%, 100%. The higher the level of autonomous driving is, the more difficult it is to make it actually work.

I think that this network of satellites will come into play when the level of autonomous driving will have reached a certain point (95%?), and from there on this network of satellites will help to get that level even higher.

So, therefore I think that it's a strategic move on the long term (2022?).

Last edited:
No, that's a competing one to the SpaceX effort I think. The launcher appears to be a Pegasus rocked to be launched by WhiteNightTwo.

Edit: further digging says that Virgin Galactic is developing "LauncherOne", which will be used to launch the satellites. It still isn't SpaceX.

There seems to be an event at SpaceX today (January 16th 2015).

Anyone who knows more about it?