Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is that a hitch is a no go option on the Model S. Maybe aftermarket, but the rear sub structure will be unlike any other vehicle that U-HAUL is used to attaching a hitch to.

Does the E class have a hitch option? Jag XF? ect...?

Just not right for that segments buyers...

Well a factory mounted hitch is the sensible option. Looking at the E-class and the Jaguar XF here in Norway it looks like the E-class has a retractible hitch on the factory options list while the Jag seems not to.

In Norway at least a family image for a car equals a hitch option. The E-class here has more of a family image than the Jag I suppose.

Cobos

an EV is enough of a challenge to get Americans to accept. Let alone now telling them to use it to pull things instead of their Ford f-350.

Let's work on overcoming one issue at a time LOL

Well that is actually one of my problems with the Prius, you can't use it for towing. I'm not going to tow a boat or any such silly thing, but sometimes when you need lots of cargo space for helping someone move f.inst. it is usefull. In my opinion a towing capacity of 500lbs is decent and 1000lbs would be perfect. That would closely match most normal family cars towing capacity here, like the Ford Mondeo, VW Passat, Volvo V70 etc.
I've got the feeling that is a difference between Europe and US, where towing capacity there is measured in thousands of pounds while in Europe it's usually a question of wether it has a hitch or not.

Cobos

It would be a good option particularly with an adapter to tow a small charging trailer -- for those long trips.

I agree!

The Model S has battery swapping and fast charging in the works to deal with range.

Providing a hitch option with adapter for a small charging trailer seems like a no brainer, and a much cheaper feature to implement.

Let's hope Tesla considers this.

Well that is actually one of my problems with the Prius, you can't use it for towing. I'm not going to tow a boat or any such silly thing, but sometimes when you need lots of cargo space for helping someone move f.inst. it is usefull. In my opinion a towing capacity of 500lbs is decent and 1000lbs would be perfect.

Cobos

I have a custom hitch on my classic Prius. I have a 10' long tandem recumbent trike (electric, of course) that I tow. I also have a lightweight aluminum trailer which is perfect for hauling furniture, old water heaters, or 1200 lb of concrete blocks. I also had a hitch on my RAV4EV. A hitch is too useful not to include it as an option, and it works wonderfully with all that electric torque. OF COURSE you have to be sensible about load and tongue weights, but I will push for a hitch on my model S. Wish I knew how to load pictures, but you probably don't want to see them anyway.
Rob

I "got hitched" a while ago...

attachment.php?attachmentid=601&stc=1&d=1267842789.jpg

Attachments

• nimh-hitch.jpg
    nimh-hitch.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 202