Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need the advice of anyone who has had to have their windshield replaced. I have 2 choices. One is to have Safelite Autoglass do the replacement or bring the car into a Tesla Service Center. Pros for Safelite - no out of pocket - Cons - not sure they can do a good job due to experience with these EVs. Other option is to have Tesla do it - out of pocket - $1100 - and submit bill to Geico - which will only pay up to $40/hr labor rate - but will pay for the glass. Bottom line - has anybody had a 3rd party replace their windshield and were you happy with the third party service.

Thx

But the glass may not be OEM. (And he should confirm that the glass either is OEM or will be satisfactory quality)

That doesn't seem relevant either in terms of whether or not the car is an EV vs ICE (per the context of the original post). I quote: ...not sure they can do a good job due to experience with these EV's.

As a company that specializes in 'autoglass', I'd think, again, that it's got nothing to do with the car being an EV vs an ICE but rather if they know what they are doing in their specific line of business: autoglass replacement. Unless EVs are using some sort of different windshield (solar?), or some sort of different windshield mounting (electrical force field?). :wink:

The question should be: Has anyone used the services of Safelite Autoglass and if so, what were your experiences? Good company? Bad Company? Has nothing to do with the car being an EV, unless I'm missing something?

That doesn't seem relevant either in terms of whether or not the car is an EV vs ICE (per the context of the original post). I quote: ...not sure they can do a good job due to experience with these EV's.

As a company that specializes in 'autoglass', I'd think, again, that it's got nothing to do with the car being an EV vs an ICE but rather if they know what they are doing in their specific line of business: autoglass replacement. Unless EVs are using some sort of different windshield (solar?), or some sort of different windshield mounting (electrical force field?). :wink:

The question should be: Has anyone used the services of Safelite Autoglass and if so, what were your experiences? Good company? Bad Company? Has nothing to do with the car being an EV, unless I'm missing something?

Oh totally agree there, EV is irrelivent to that question. I've used Safelite before on my Jeep, and had no problems, but the glass is clearly not OEM. In the case of the Jeep, that seems to be a good thing, since I cracked a few OEM windshields, and my Safelite one has been going strong for a few years now. Not sure if I would use them on a $100K car or not, but that has nothing to do with EV.

Safelite does have OEM glass in some circumstances. I had them do my F-150 and I have OEM glass (says Ford in the middle bottom just like the original glass did). It did cost me extra.

In the case of Tesla I doubt it. Probably just not enough volume to stock it.

Out of curiosity, OP did you have the subzero package? When I discussed replacing my headliner with the SC they told me $500 for the windshield replacement it would take. But if I'd had the subzero package the glass was special and that made it more expensive. Apparently the windshield wiper heater setup is down where the wipers rest on the glass.

If it were me and I had the subzero package I'd probably let Tesla do it. Otherwise not sure it matters.

I was told by my service center that only Tesla has the glass. I suppose safelite might be able to get the glass from Tesla but I do not believe that is a given. I asked because I have a minor crack ( 1/2 inch ) from a rock but it is low on the windshield and not in the field of vision.

Here in AZ, the Tesla service center does not actually install the glass, but calls out a local company (BlueChip Auto Glass) to do the glass replacement at the service center. This is how they did it when I had a crack that was covered under warranty. I have a new crack now from a rock chip and although my insurance company (Allstate) contracts with Safelite for glass replacement, they let you use any glass shop. BlueChip Auto Glass will be picking up the windshield from Tesla and then having it tinted at the tint shop before installing it in my car. I've been waiting over 2 weeks for Tesla to get the glass in.

Safelite is great for 95% of the cars out there with standard glass (OEM or not).

But throw them something even a little bit out of the ordinary, and it's a cluster****.

I took my 2005 Merc SLK350 w/sport package to them for a windshield replacement. It took them THREE TRIES to get the right glass installed. The first two, which were OEM because there isn't enough demand for that car, fit correctly, but the inside trim was wrong -- the mirror trim didn't line up right. So they trashed the first one, put in the correct OEM replacement and it still didn't line up right. So they had to trash the second one (at their expense both times). By the third time, the finally got the proper glass for my car and trim, and installed it. Once they got the right glass, they do a great job of installation.

For a Tesla replacement, surely they'd be getting the OEM glass from Tesla. I'm sure there isn't any third-party glass for the Model S.

Also, I'd highly recommend dropping the car off at their shop to do the install in their garages, and not use the mobile install service. Most glass glues need time to cure, and if it's too hot or cold outside, that could affect the seals and install quality. When they did my glass (all three times), they let the car cure inside the garage for a day so it was unaffected by outside temperature.

I also had problems with Safelite when my insurance co demanded I go through them to replace the glass in my Delorean. After going back and forth between Safelite and my ins co several times, Safelite flat out refused to work on the Delorean, so I had to take it to a Delorean repair shop to get it done correctly ($1200 covered 100% by insurance). This happened twice.

I once had to replace a windshield for CA market Japanese made Honda Accord.

Not all Honda Accords sold in CA are made in Japan but all those outside are made in Ohio. And now Mexico I guess.

Anyway, Safelite tried to install a US made windshield for US made Honda Accords on my car and it would not align correctly.

They re-installed the cracked windshield and I had to have the dealer order a Japanese made windshield. Then Safelite installed it perfectly.

I was in your exact position this last summer. Safelite had to source the glass from Tesla, they could not locate any available 3rd party glass.

I preferred the Tesla SC option due to warranty coverage. Think auto windshield wiper function.

I submitted to Geico the pre-work estimate to get them to confirm they would cover any amount remaining after my deducible. After 3 weeks of calling and other "escalations", they confirmed yes. Mind you Geico was covering $107 of a total $1107 bill.

Glass repair was done at TeslaSC by a sub (I guess that is their model). Once Work was done, final invoice submitted to Geico by TeslaSC.

Took Geico over 60 days to resolve the claim submitted. Really found Geico a PAIN to work with. Escalations were always required to get someone to take action. Otherwise their claims rep would feed me a line to get me off the phone. When I would follow up the next time, the new rep would have a different story or indicate that evidently I had some "outstanding" action. Mind you Geico never sent these requests to me in email, phone or mail. In the end, I learned more about my insurance co. I really felt they wanted me to forget about it so they could get out of paying the claim. I guess there is a reason why their premiums are so low.

The glass replacement was painless by TeslaSC, Geico claim reimbursement was a hassle. Good luck

Thanks for all your responses. When I wrote 'these EVs' I meant Teslas, not EVs in general. I couldn't care less if they have experience with other EVs just with Teslas. I am beginning to refer to my Tesla as an EV instead of a car. So my question was has anyone had their windshield replaced by Safelite on their Tesla and were you happy with the result? I have decided to have Tesla take care of it after reading some of the threads and giving it some more thought. Thanks again for the responses.

- - - Updated - - -

Jed-99aggie. Thanks. I will be changing my insurance from Geico as soon as the claim has been resolved.
Sounds like you didn't have full glass coverage? They told me they would reimburse the cost of the glass and only up to $40:hr labor. Tesla charges $175/hr. I figure I will be out of pocket about $350 and time on the phone to get my claim reimbursed.

Replaced my windshield last Spring. Safelite thought they could do it at first, but canceled the service few hrs later because they didn't have the part. Went to the factory, and the reason I didn't go to Tesla at first was due to the long waiting list for service. Anyway, as someone pointed above, it was performed by 3rd party, but fully warranted by Tesla. The bill came out about $1500, Famers took the bill with $100 deductible.

Here in AZ, the Tesla service center does not actually install the glass, but calls out a local company (BlueChip Auto Glass) to do the glass replacement at the service center. This is how they did it when I had a crack that was covered under warranty. I have a new crack now from a rock chip and although my insurance company (Allstate) contracts with Safelite for glass replacement, they let you use any glass shop. BlueChip Auto Glass will be picking up the windshield from Tesla and then having it tinted at the tint shop before installing it in my car. I've been waiting over 2 weeks for Tesla to get the glass in.

I am in the same boat as you are, made the appointment with bluechip a few days ago and will have Cactus do the re tint.

I need the advice of anyone who has had to have their windshield replaced. I have 2 choices. One is to have Safelite Autoglass do the replacement or bring the car into a Tesla Service Center. Pros for Safelite - no out of pocket - Cons - not sure they can do a good job due to experience with these EVs. Other option is to have Tesla do it - out of pocket - $1100 - and submit bill to Geico - which will only pay up to $40/hr labor rate - but will pay for the glass. Bottom line - has anybody had a 3rd party replace their windshield and were you happy with the third party service.

Thx
I can offer a little help...from a 3rd party installer's perspective. The model S windshield is available through Pilkington autoglass. You can aske your glass shop to aquire it there. the List price is 1400. The install is moderately simple. I know bmw 7 series and Mercedes SLK's that are twice the time in labor. Find a shop that's fully insured with a 1 mil Gen liability with hire on auto coverage.

Safelite has the resources to offer the proper service, I used to work there before I started my own company. Any respectable company with good ratings, and Insurance will be happy to help, laminated glass is not complicated....the back glass however, not so much. Check with Tesla. They make it difficult for just any 3rd party companies to offer any help. If you're fortunate to find one, ask for a high end experienced installer.

I recently was called to look at a Model S P85D that had a cracked laminated back glass. The owner was hoping it could be repaired. A rock chipped the top left corner, above the 3rd stop light. The chip spread and the corner was loose. There is a certified Tesla repair center nearby in Orlando, but the customer was afraid of driving it there. None of my suppliers carry the aftermarket. I contacted Tesla, and they can only sell me the glass at full list price because I am not a "Tesla approved Glass Shop". I called to learn about the registration requirements, they transferred me around a few times...until the California office answered and said they would contact me at a later time. I know that the 3rd stop light has ribbon wire that is overlapped by the urethane, similar to a Mercedes Benz heater wire, and must be replaced. I left my customer a message, and I know they're not willing to pay extra, they're deductible is higher than the work involved. I prob lost the job to Tesla. I've been in business 2 years with 97 ... 5 Star google ratings. FYI maintain your C&C insurance at a reasonable rate. The back glass alone is scarce and expensive. good luck.