Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP NEEDED! Can't get my connector out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cable is broken beyond repair, so it seems... that's gonna hurt €1200

You mean just the connector end, all you need is a new connector right!? You should see if someone around has a spare from a burned up UMC you could get your hands on.

Was this from an HPC or UMC? It's hard to replace the cable on a UMC but not that hard on a HPC. I've also put new connectors on those for a lot less than €1200.

Couldn't the UMC cable be chopped off at the connector end, wires stripped and re-connected to the replacement Roadster connector? The newer UMC does not look serviceable at all, however the older / MC240 is and the cable could fully be replaced on that one.

You can replace the connector if it's not a Tesla branded one. Actually you can replace it with another Tesla unit but that's harder. You have to drill the crimps out and other problems. You might look into that, though because a lot of broken UMCs are sitting on shelves. I don't think they shipped any MC240s to Europe.

Well, this morning I got to the service point, and he showed me the issue, comparing my connector to a new one. The previous owner hadn't been too kind to the connector, dropping it on the floor. The aluminium insides were damaged badly, and corrosion was making the tight fit even more tight, locking the connector in place. I got a new connector, luckily the lease company is paying for it.

You can replace the connector if it's not a Tesla branded one. Actually you can replace it with another Tesla unit but that's harder. You have to drill the crimps out and other problems. You might look into that, though because a lot of broken UMCs are sitting on shelves. I don't think they shipped any MC240s to Europe.

Speaking of which...

Who has these blown UMC's? I might know someone with a Juicebox UMC rated for 80 amps but with a 50 amp cable. :/

(ie.: I could use a blown Tesla Roadster UMC to replace the 50 amp cable on my 80 amp capable Juicebox UMC.)

PM me is best,

T

After my first service, Jake from Menlo Park told me to bring in my UMC on my annual service appointments so they can clean and lubricate it. I still do that but I'm not certain that's part of the service anymore. I wish Tesla service would go back to that long checklist of items which was given to me. Now I can't really know if they've really done everything. I've had a sticky UMC connector and used a spray silicon lube which made it turn a lot better. The UMC is my main charging equipment, it's fine after four years.

Well, this morning I got to the service point, and he showed me the issue, comparing my connector to a new one. The previous owner hadn't been too kind to the connector, dropping it on the floor. The aluminium insides were damaged badly, and corrosion was making the tight fit even more tight, locking the connector in place. I got a new connector, luckily the lease company is paying for it.