Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S required hard reset

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a scare this morning, hopped in for a drive and found the dash and 17" screen were blank. I haven't even made my first payment and the car was bricked? I tried the soft resets, held down the scroll wheels for 30 seconds and also tried holding down the two top buttons above the scroll wheels. Pressing on the brakes only turned on the front headlights and nothing else. Called the Tesla Worldwide Service number and he had me try the soft resets again. He ended up connecting me with the SC and the SC had me do a hard reset (he did offer to send someone out on a Sunday, but I had to get someplace and was going to use my ICE). Without getting into much detail, the hard reset worked and after doing so, the SC was able to connect to my car and download the logs to figure out what happened. Kudos for the support, took all of 15 minutes. Now I know how to do a hard reset and manually open the Frunk.
The SC recommends keeping the energy savings on nightly, this will reboot your car every night so the different modules don't get out of sync (which may have led to the issue I encountered) and check the Always Connected box that is available with 6.0

I had a scare this morning, hopped in for a drive and found the dash and 17" screen were blank. I haven't even made my first payment and the car was bricked? I tried the soft resets, held down the scroll wheels for 30 seconds and also tried holding down the two top buttons above the scroll wheels. Pressing on the brakes only turned on the front headlights and nothing else. Called the Tesla Worldwide Service number and he had me try the soft resets again. He ended up connecting me with the SC and the SC had me do a hard reset (he did offer to send someone out on a Sunday, but I had to get someplace and was going to use my ICE). Without getting into much detail, the hard reset worked and after doing so, the SC was able to connect to my car and download the logs to figure out what happened. Kudos for the support, took all of 15 minutes. Now I know how to do a hard reset and manually open the Frunk.
The SC recommends keeping the energy savings on nightly, this will reboot your car every night so the different modules don't get out of sync (which may have led to the issue I encountered) and check the Always Connected box that is available with 6.0
How do you do a hard reset?

I'm curious about the hard reset thing as well...

When my center screen was replaced earlier, I lost driver profiles, most settings in the "Settings" tab, and bluetooth pairings. Media favs, web bookmarks, nav places (recent chargers, favs, etc), and everything else seemed to remain.

I'm curious about the hard reset thing as well...

When my center screen was replaced earlier, I lost driver profiles, most settings in the "Settings" tab, and bluetooth pairings. Media favs, web bookmarks, nav places (recent chargers, favs, etc), and everything else seemed to remain.

That's because the center screen is a computer not just a screen. All of those settings are stored in the non volatile memory in that computer.

I will say that I had my girl in for some air suspension fixes and when it came back all my driver profiles were messed up. They were all there, but did not move to where I had set them. Reverse side mirror setting were all lost and have taken some time to reset. Still not back where I would like them. Not sure if this has anything to do with a hard reset, but thought I would share. I have never pulled that fuse.