Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Roadster mystery: unused USB extension cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Today I opened up my light-controls panel, to improve the reception of my car-lock-antenna. Inside this area, I found a USB extension cord, nicely tucked away, not leading anywhere. It had a mini-USB on one side, and a regular female USB on the other side. Strange. Anyone know why this is sitting there for no reason?

Not entirely sure where you mean? Do you have a photo of the location? I know the VMS has several USB interfaces on it, its attached to one of those. The fact that it ended in a mini-USB is particularly interesting. Which version of the car do you have? Does your VMS have a gray connector plugged in near its SMA antenna port?

The location: left from the drivers seat (LHD), behind the panel where the lights are controlled and trunk released.
It's just a spare USB cable, completely not connected to anything as it has a beginning and end in the same place, not doing anything.

There's a USB in the fuse department as well, but that seems to be connected to the car itself or the radio, because it is powered, but cannot be read from the radio.

Then there's a USB cable in the handbrake-area, as used by the ipod dock.
And the "official" USB in the lower center console.

So far there are 4 USB connections:
- 1 Diagnostic
- 1 unknown
- 1 connected to radio as ipod dock
- 1 female USB on one end and microUSB on the other end, not connected to anything, just being rolled up inside this dashboard area.

Looks like you got a free cable!
I have a 2.5 and have worked behind that panel several times putting my DRLs in. I did not find a USB cable in there. I did find a mini connector for a light labeled "fog light" connected to nothing but that's all