Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Outlook Tesla Motors geographical expansion of sales and service activities.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Benz

Nov 15, 2012
Netherlands
In 2014: UK, China, Hong Kong and Japan. And Australia is most likely to follow in December 2014.

Which countries will be next in 2015?

How about:
New Zealand
South Korea
Singapore
Malaysia
Taiwan
India
South Africa
Mexico
Brazil
Turkey
Poland
Finland
Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania
And more countries in Easter Europe

Does anyone have any info with regard to this topic?

Last edited:
Just by looking at the supercharger expansion map (Supercharger | Tesla Motors), Tesla plans to enter European markets in Turkey, Finland and the Balkans in 2015.

Interestingly, it seems like they don't plan to enter South Korean or Taiwanese market in 2015 but instead to further expand in Japan and China.

I think that you are right about Finland. And the same can be said about the three Baltic states Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

By the way, I am sure that I have heard Elon Musk mentioning South Korea ones during a Conference Call in 2014 (or during one of his many interviews).

We will hear more about their plans for geographical expansion during their Conference Calls of their next few quarterly reports.

In 2014: UK, China, Hong Kong and Japan. And Australia is most likely to follow in December 2014.

Which countries will be next in 2015?

How about:
New Zealand
South Korea
Singapore
Malaysia
Taiwan
India
South Africa
Mexico
Brazil
Turkey
Poland
Finland
Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania
And more countries in Easter Europe

Does anyone have any info with regard to this topic?

The Tesla Launch Event in Australia is on December 9th, 2014.

I also wonder when Tesla will sell to Iceland. It may be a small market, but it would be a great place to own an X. Of course, any place would be great to own a Tesla, but Iceland could power thier fleet with hydro and geothermal instead of imported oil.

GSP

I also wonder when Tesla will sell to Iceland. It may be a small market, but it would be a great place to own an X. Of course, any place would be great to own a Tesla, but Iceland could power thier fleet with hydro and geothermal instead of imported oil.

GSP

There was an order for 100 Model Ss for Iceland very early on. I wonder whether those have been delivered?

I dont think its correct, but in that article they say Tesla is currently entering the Indian Market.

"The brand is quickly gaining popularity across the world – it was introduced in China earlier this year, reached Japan in September and is also now entering the Indian market"

An Indian newspaper interviewed Tesla CFO Deepak Ahuja and asked when Tesla would enter the Indian market.

He said that India needed to carve out a BEV exemption to its 125% import duty on luxury cars. And he talked about Model 3.

Other Indian Newspapers and blogs then started saying Tesla was entering Indian market with a vehicle specifically designed for emerging markets like India, the Model 3.

Not China news, so apologies if it doesn't belong here (is there a general Asia market/outlook thread?), but here's a piece suggesting Tesla will expand into Indonesia in January.

https://www.techinasia.com/tesla-motors-electric-cars-indonesia/

What stands out is that, if the article is to be believed, Tesla will be selling via dealerships, albeit luxury dealerships. Especially with the discussion surrounding Ms Wu's retiring this is an interesting development. I find it hard to imagine though that Tesla will just abandon its direct-to-customer sales model, even if only in a single market.

Yeah, I'm a bit ambivalent about an importer taking product to a market Tesla does not choose to enter. Would it be better for Tesla simply to step in with a minimal presence or let importers control the customer experience?

Minimal presence means minimal customer support.

Example, entering essentially Jakarta without really expanding beyond the capital.

Many people outside the capital will buy thinking they really don't need service centers or superchargers then become increasing frustrated over time.

You can't completely control what happens after people buy your cars.