Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gearbox problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear friends
My Roadster is a 2010 2.0 Sig Sport and apparently in need for its 4th gearbox! It has 50 000 Km

I can't recall the milage or the date, but after a while of driving my car, I got a strange sound from the back of the car. The ranger listened and they replaced the gearbox and the motor. Fixed the problem. Some 10 000 to 20 000 Km later there was a whining sound coming from the back, last december. It was different then the first time, but it got louder! So in june this year they replaced the gearbox and a ball bearing of the motor. Fixed the problem for about 1000 Km. Then a similar sound started growing up again. Now it's getting louder. There is no change in the driving capabilities of the car. There is no constancy when the whining sound occurs. Sometime at slow speed, sometime at high speed, sometime at recuperation, sometime not.
Tesla mechanics listened and would like to change the gearbox and the motor again, but the gearbox is not available at the moment. So on wednesday they will record the sound and will send it to HQ for analyzing.

What do you think, what could be the issue?

Tesla did all this work on guarantee, free of charge!

You have to wonder if there's an alignment issue with one of the shafts.

That's what I was thinking. I've also seen a rear wheel that was out of balance/bent that ate the bearings out on the electric motor. Any vibration as well as mis-alignment of shafts in the rear can lead to catastrophic failures on bearings in either the gearbox and/or the electric motor.

Last edited: