Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Defective windshield, TSBs & updates are NOT covered out of warranty.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just found out that Tesla was replacing early defective windshields (the ones where the ezpass bridge toll transponders don't work) as a few owners around here just had their early ones replaced. I asked my SC to see if mine could be replaced mine since it never worked. They confirmed that it was an early defective windshield but denied replacing it because I am out of warranty @58k miles. They said I could have had it done it 3 months ago when I was at 48k miles if I had told them about it. LAME TESLA. If they knew about the windshields and were replacing them then they should have done it without me asking. It's been defective since the day they delivered it to me. They know it and I know it.

So this is a notice to all early owners like me that have the defective windshields: if you ever care about getting your bad windshield replaced for these bridge toll transponders then do it before you run out of warranty.

Also to my surprise, they said that "bulletins and updates are all warranty items and so they unfortunately can no longer be done once the warranty expires unless you pay for them."

Well that was brand spankin news to me. Perhaps I would have opted for extended warranty had I known that.

At least I was also told "I don’t think you will need much of anything in that department as the lion’s share of updates have already come out. We’ve come a long way!"

I guess that's supposed to comfort me in some way. The dozens of TSBs that have been applied each time I dropped it off for something throughout the last 20 months I suppose are going to magically stop suddenly because there's no more defective things to fix. They've found and fixed them all. Yippee! (sarcasm). Well I guess there's some truth in that. They have fixed them all, that is up to my last warrantied service a few months ago. Apparently that just won't include anything they find from that point forward.

So I just found out that Tesla was replacing early defective windshields (the ones where the ezpass bridge toll transponders don't work) as a few owners around here just had their early ones replaced. I asked my SC to see if mine could be replaced mine since it never worked. They confirmed that it was an early defective windshield but denied replacing it because I am out of warranty @58k miles. They said I could have had it done it 3 months ago when I was at 48k miles if I had told them about it. LAME TESLA. If they knew about the windshields and were replacing them then they should have done it without me asking. It's been defective since the day they delivered it to me. They know it and I know it.

So this is a notice to all early owners like me that have the defective windshields: if you ever care about getting your bad windshield replaced for these bridge toll transponders then do it before you run out of warranty.

Also to my surprise, they said that "bulletins and updates are all warranty items and so they unfortunately can no longer be done once the warranty expires unless you pay for them."

Well that was brand spankin news to me. Perhaps I would have opted for extended warranty had I known that.

At least I was also told "I don’t think you will need much of anything in that department as the lion’s share of updates have already come out. We’ve come a long way!"

I guess that's supposed to comfort me in some way. The dozens of TSBs that have been applied each time I dropped it off for something throughout the last 20 months I suppose are going to magically stop suddenly because there's no more defective things to fix. They've found and fixed them all. Yippee! (sarcasm). Well I guess there's some truth in that. They have fixed them all, that is up to my last warrantied service a few months ago. Apparently that just won't include anything they find from that point forward.

Where do you have your easypass currently, with the defective windshield.

Could you get one of those license plate mounted Easy Pass units? You can likely also open it up and put the electronics of it inside the nosecone, of course at your own risk. Sorry to hear about what happened but I would not call the windshield defective per se as it still performs the primary goal it was intended to perform.

You can find another solution to the Easy Pass situation and that might be a better avenue for your energy...

FWIW, I had my windshield replaced a few months ago and it is still incompatible with FasTrak.

Separately, what the HECK happened to hardware upgrades? These were NEVER supposed to be warranty items in the first place. They are included under service. If you pay for service, you should be getting hardware upgrades. I'm disappointed in Tesla for taking this stance and including them only under warranty, for which they were never supposed to be covered.

I think you have a legitimate beef with the windshield, especially if your service center used the word "defective".

With regard to the TSBs, I would think that paying for annual service would entitle you to receive TSBs as "hardware updates". But they would not be automatically included after warranty expiration.

I think you have a legitimate beef with the windshield, especially if your service center used the word "defective".

With regard to the TSBs, I would think that paying for annual service would entitle you to receive TSBs as "hardware updates". But they would not be automatically included after warranty expiration.

agreed. It was my understanding that the whopping $600 we pay would include TSBs and hardwRe upgrades etc. We just wouldn't get them every time we pull into the service center anymore if we're out of warranty!!

TSB's are never free out of warranty. They're basically "if someone complains about X, we know we can fix it by doing Y". It's not a recall.

The updates, well that's a grey area. I can see them doing some if you're out of warranty but bringing it in for service. But why would you expect lifetime free everything? What do you think a warranty is?

This is why I bought the extended warranty so my car will be covered for 8 yrs, 100k miles. (Not the service plan, the warranty.) Buy it now before the price inevitably goes up.

This is why I bought the extended warranty so my car will be covered for 8 yrs, 100k miles. (Not the service plan, the warranty.) Buy it now before the price inevitably goes up.

The extended warranty, as it's been explained to me, is an insurance policy. There is still a $200 deductible on any "warranty" items performed after 50 K. I doubt you'd get TSBs free of charge.

On the other hand, my service plan quite clearly states that I am entitled to free hardware upgrades.

TSB's are never free out of warranty. They're basically "if someone complains about X, we know we can fix it by doing Y". It's not a recall.

This is exactly it. TSBs are simply known frequent issues with a specific fix. All other manufactures treat them as warranty repairs and Tesla is no different. The only thing unique about Tesla is they at times will apply them automatically. Normally they have to be requested by the customer. TSBs are not covered under the service agreement and never have been. Owners without it but are under warranty (such as myself) can get TSBs applied at anytime. I highly recommend with any new car that's about have its warranty expire, to go into the dealership and get any and all issues addressed.

The only thing the OP is entitled to now without paying extra for are safety recalls and repairs to the drive system and battery.

The extended warranty, as it's been explained to me, is an insurance policy. There is still a $200 deductible on any "warranty" items performed after 50 K. I doubt you'd get TSBs free of charge.

On the other hand, my service plan quite clearly states that I am entitled to free hardware upgrades.

The service plan provides free software updates and necessary or service related hardware upgrades. It's nebulous what would qualify for that, perhaps only the titanium plate thus far would have fit that criteria if you were out of warranty?

I admit my ignorance though and I didn't know about the $200 per repair item deductible. That's pretty crazy. I'd rather pay $1000 more and do away with it.

Actually I don't think the actual contract says anything about hardware upgrades.

If you bought the pre-paid service plan, the contractual agreement will be accessible in your MyTesla portal. If you read the agreement, there is no mention of hardware updates anywhere in the contract. The only mention of hardware updates is on the actual info/order page for the pre-paid service. The marketing information provided by Tesla to induce you to buy the pre-paid service is not actually included in the contract verbiage. This is misleading, in my opinion, and is going to become a point of contention at some point with owners.

Guys, Tesla is still bound to written statements posted on their website. Whatever the contract says or does not say doesn't matter. Ask a lawyer, a court would absolutely weigh their statements outside of the contract.
Two things:

1) Vehicle purchase contracts are very clear. Nothing is promised other than what's specifically in writing in your purchase contract and written guarantees and warranties. Nothing else is implied. You're basically agreeing that Tesla could have said A B C D E F G but unless it's in your contract it's not part of your agreement with Tesla.

2) You're talking about going to court. For a 'free' upgrade to larger sun visors or whatever upgrade you think you're entitled to. Spend thousands and thousands (and thousands) and MAYBE get the upgraded weather app. Just because a lawyer can win you something in court doesn't mean you should go that route.

2) You're talking about going to court. For a 'free' upgrade to larger sun visors or whatever upgrade you think you're entitled to. Spend thousands and thousands (and thousands) and MAYBE get the upgraded weather app. Just because a lawyer can win you something in court doesn't mean you should go that route.

Many of the items, like the windshield, would be small claims court. A lawyer generally mitigates against you.

Guys, Tesla is still bound to written statements posted on their website. Whatever the contract says or does not say doesn't matter. Ask a lawyer, a court would absolutely weigh their statements outside of the contract.

We are just pointing out that the service plan itself does not promise hardware upgrades only the marketing page mentions it. Also the page now says "Service related hardware upgrades" so take that for what you want.