Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded Welcome Lights.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mmh

May 11, 2014
SLC
I'm currently working on enhancing most of the interior lighting in the car. I've already added better trunk lighting, and figured the next best set of lights to tackle would be the welcome lights (I don't know if they have an official name; the floor lights that come on when you open the doors.). The next step in this will be to replace the accent lighting in the doors.

IMG_6231w.jpg

IMG_6234w.jpg

Last edited:
What lights did you replace them with?
For the under the seat lights I went with Amazon.com: E-Goal Pink LED Strip light: Home Improvement those are what I'll also be putting in the doors. Right now I'm waiting for some plastic pry tools to be delivered so I can remove the door trim, I'm hoping to have sometime this week to work on it.
For the trunk, I went with "Warm White": Amazon.com: E-Goal 3528 Warm White Waterproof LED Strip light With E-Goal Logo Ribbon: Home Improvement

Are you going to post a how to for us do-it-yourself ers?
I'm trying to take pictures as I go. Once it's all done, I plan on updating this thread with details.

I used the existing lighting connectors under the seat, and made my own plug on the light strips using these (Break-away 0.1 36-pin strip male header (10 pieces) ID: 392 - $4.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique fun DIY electronics and kits) so I wouldn't have to cut into the cars wiring at all. I'm trying to keep everything reversible. Here's a picture of how I put the lights together. Half of those point from under the seat towards the backseats, the other half point towards the front area.

IMG_6229w.jpg

I like the idea of a plug and play option. Where exactly do these plug in? And where did you mount them? I'm pretty handy, if you could give me some direction I would appreciate it.

- - - Updated - - -

The door panels are super easy to remove. You won't need any pry bars. Remove the screw from inside the hand grab under the rubber, and the screw behind the door opening door handle on the inside.
i installed some nice logo puddle lights in no time.

I like the idea of a plug and play option. Where exactly do these plug in? And where did you mount them? I'm pretty handy, if you could give me some direction I would appreciate it.

See this thread here. Basically, just pop out the lights in the footwells using a flat-head screwdriver, unplug them (it's a simple squeeze and pull lock) then the pins that come on the new LEDs just plug right in.

Now, can anyone tell me how/where to tap into either the dome or ambient lights? I would like to run some LED's to the center console, and be able to control them through the touch screen.

Yes, I've added a light under the cubby that is connected to the ambient light circuit. I ended up taking the passenger door panel off and tapping into the wires going to the light in the arm rest. Then feed the wire back into the car and over to the cubby area. The only part I didn't like about my installation was I couldn't find a easy way to get the wire to go through the existing wire bundle, it's packed so tightly. I have it just going across between the door and the car towards the top. I wrapped some electrical tape around it to make it dark so it's not very visible.

Love the light in the middle though!

-m

Yes, I've added a light under the cubby that is connected to the ambient light circuit. I ended up taking the passenger door panel off and tapping into the wires going to the light in the arm rest. Then feed the wire back into the car and over to the cubby area. The only part I didn't like about my installation was I couldn't find a easy way to get the wire to go through the existing wire bundle, it's packed so tightly. I have it just going across between the door and the car towards the top. I wrapped some electrical tape around it to make it dark so it's not very visible.

Love the light in the middle though!

-m

Please, please elaborate!!!! Steps? Which wires????