Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Modify rear arch liners"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my car back from service to have the tires rotated and an alignment (I hit a bag of cement on the freeway with my left front tire and since then the car was pulling to the right), and a small number of little things checked out/fixed (seat belt rattles, tape protruding under the driver's mirror, etc.). One of the items performed that I didn't ask for says:

- "Concern: Modify Rear Arch Liners"
- "Corrections: Trim rear base and recessed corners of LH/RH rear arch liners. Inspect hoses."

Anybody know what this is about? What are the rear arch liners?

Sounds like an item that would normally trigger a recall, right? I know Tesla is a publicly traded company and they know how volatile things can get when any negative press is released regarding the Model S. Could it be this is recall material thats being quietly performed..? Or maybe this would just fall under what a normal car dealership or automaker would call a TSB (service bulletin) - Just thinking out loud here..

Sounds like an item that would normally trigger a recall, right? I know Tesla is a publicly traded company and they know how volatile things can get when any negative press is released regarding the Model S. Could it be this is recall material thats being quietly performed..? Or maybe this would just fall under what a normal car dealership or automaker would call a TSB (service bulletin) - Just thinking out loud here..
It's a TSB.

Apparently it was possible for the liners to rub against the brake lines. This fixes the issue.

correct...

i happened to have my car in for a tire rotation the day after the TSB was issued... We were leaving for a big road trip a few days later and our service center wanted to make sure the TSB was performed before the trip since they could see wear on one of the brake lines. They had to order the brake line first -- so the car went back in the day before the road trip...

Definitely TSB. I had mine in a few weeks ago for a non-functioning rear passenger window and they took care of this wheel arch. When they went over all the work performed, Marlia at the Tampa SC explained that a couple of cars had the arch rubbing the brake line so the TSB was issued to trim them back.

When the vehicle goes into low mode for suspension its possible for some contact to exist, so trimming the liners prevents that from happening. An inspection of the brake lines is also performed, and if there are any signs of wear due to the rubbing, the brake line is replaced.