Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No More Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pruitt

Pontificating the obvious
Jun 27, 2014
Casper WY
I got a call Monday from my DS - my model S had arrived and was ready for delivery! Would I like it Wednesday or Thursday, or...?

After four months of sometimes very intense anticipation, it was finally here. And it wasn't important at all.

About ten days earlier one of my immediate family members went to the doctor for a routine check-up. Something a little odd, so let's do a more definitive test. About five days before the DS called, the doctors said "...possible life-threatening issue." Another even more focused test, a week ago today. At this point the Tesla was not on my mind at all.

When my DS called Monday, I briefly explained the situation and deferred any talk of delivery until Wednesday (two days ago), when we would get final word on the medical situation. He said there was no hurry at all, and to contact him when I was ready.

On Wednesday, the worst was confirmed.

Under our current situation, the monthly payment on the Tesla would be a huge strain. I'll be taking days at a time off work under the FMLA, which is unpaid leave. Plus, even with medical insurance, we'll have unplanned-for (and uncovered) expenses. Had the car already arrived, I would have dealt with the financial situation as best I could. But since it wasn't delivered yet...

Tesla, through my DS, has been phenomenal. With my car sitting at the store in Atlanta awaiting delivery, I was told, essentially, "Don't worry about it. Take care of your family. Maybe we can serve you in the future." They'll even refund my non-refundable deposit.

So I'm not going to get my Model S, and right now I don't really care - I only care about my family member's health and the battle ahead.

But I do care enough about the tone and content of my discussions and e-mails with Tesla over the last five days to publicly thank them for their compassion and understanding.

Regards to all,
Brunton

Tesla, through my DS, has been phenomenal. With my car sitting at the store in Atlanta awaiting delivery, I was told, essentially, "Don't worry about it. Take care of your family. Maybe we can serve you in the future." They'll even refund my non-refundable deposit.
That's pretty nice of them. Certainly they could have kept the deposit considering your car was built and waiting for you. Good for them.

All the best to you and your family in this difficult time.

I'm so sorry that your family is facing this crisis - and really nice of you to take the time to post how Tesla handled the situation. No better way to thank them for just doing the right thing (and so few companies would).

Best to you and your family. Life can certainly reset priorities in no time at all...

I too am saddened by your story. But at the same time your post reminds me that family is more important than anything material. I hope it helps you to know that you have reached others in this way. I'm glad to hear Tesla was sympathetic if not supportive. I don't think one would get that from other companies these days.

Sending thoughts and positive energy to you and your family.

Last edited: