Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

...no further significant platform changes to Model S for about a year...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

commasign

TeslaAdviceBlog.com
Aug 31, 2013
Davis, CA
Just got an update email from Tesla. "With the introduction of Dual Motor and Autopilot, there will be no further significant platform changes to Model S for about a year. We continue to see rapid growth elsewhere with the construction of the Gigafactory, the spread of Superchargers, and increased vehicle production."

I appreciate that they're letting us know that we've got a year before major new hardware features are added or changed.

2014+1yr=2015 Hover Car. Doesn't take a genius to figure this stuff out, guys.

1985_delorean_c.jpg

The "Q" - quad motor AWD? ;)
Tesla, unveil the "Q" in less than 6 months, please. Another round of reorders will be due I think. Let me just say I can't wait to see the Model 3. The sooner the better. Anyway Tesla can get more orders.
Let me say I won't be reading the forums when the Q is revealed. These forums became unbearable to read when Tesla unveiled the D. Nothing but moaning, geez.

Last edited:
LTE, ventilated seats, updated mirrors, new colors, LED low/high beams, ceramic brakes, higher resolution "retina" LCDs, head-up display on the windshield... I am sure Tesla will find a way to tick off this crowd even with "minor" changes. ;)

LTE, ventilated seats, updated mirrors, new colors, LED low/high beams, ceramic brakes, higher resolution "retina" LCDs, head-up display on the windshield... I am sure Tesla will find a way to tick off this crowd even with "minor" changes. ;)

I think LTE and new LCDs can come without being considered a significant platform change. I think AWD was really the significant platform change. I'm not sure the Auto Pilot is enough to be considered the same, but it's definitely closer than an updated screen.

If only there were some sort of way of routinizing this process...some way of creating an expectation amongst consumers that there would not be significant changes for a while...hmmm...something tied to the calendar in some way...some manner of telling a customer in the fall of 2014 that she is getting the latest features, and not to expect any significant additional features until approximately the fall of 2015...

You'd think someone would have cracked this nut.

If only there were some sort of way of routinizing this process...some way of creating an expectation amongst consumers that there would not be significant changes for a while...hmmm...something tied to the calendar in some way...some manner of telling a customer in the fall of 2014 that she is getting the latest features, and not to expect any significant additional features until approximately the fall of 2015...

You'd think someone would have cracked this nut.

You may prefer an annual model for car changes.

Others may prefer that companies innovate as fast as possible. Dozens of new features per year downloaded to all owners for free. Other hardware upgrades when available to make the cars the best possible as soon as possible. I prefer this approach in general, but specifically for a company whose goal is not just to sell electric cars but to convince the world that sustainable transport and electric cars are the wave of the future. I am aware many disagree with this position and Tesla's "deliver when ready approach" but do not assume everyone does.

Last edited:

Others may prefer that companies innovate as fast as possible. Dozens of new features per year downloaded to all owners for free. Other HW upgrades when available to make the cars the best possible as soon as possible. I prefer this approach in general, but specifically for a company whose goal is not just to sell electric cars but to convince the world that sustainable transport and electric cars are the wave of the future. I am aware many disagree with this position and Tesla's "deliver when ready approach" but don's assume everyone does.

I agree with you Six. The last thing I want from Tesla is to see them emulate or copy the established status quo. Add stuff as soon as it's ready is what I say.

The whole model year game with the established automakers is a crock now. Some of them release 2015 models in May or June of 2014.

Others may prefer that companies innovate as fast as possible. Dozens of new features per year downloaded to all owners for free. Other hardware upgrades when available to make the cars the best possible as soon as possible. I prefer this approach in general, but specifically for a company whose goal is not just to sell electric cars but to convince the world that sustainable transport and electric cars are the wave of the future. I am aware many disagree with this position and Tesla's "deliver when ready approach" but do not assume everyone does.

I don't care, really. I am just sort of chuckling at the dissonance of praising Tesla for its speed of innovation, getting upset when they announce significant new features unannounced, and then being happy when they send out an email saying that you've got about a year before more significant changes will be made.

I don't care, really. I am just sort of chuckling at the dissonance of praising Tesla for its speed of innovation, getting upset when they announce significant new features unannounced, and then being happy when they send out an email saying that you've got about a year before more significant changes will be made.

Good point. If I had to guess I would suspect there would be a high percentage of customer support, in the abstract, for a company to be fast, agile, and improve their products frequently. As long as it does not impact their own individual products :biggrin:

Good point. If I had to guess I would suspect there would be a high percentage of customer support, in the abstract, for a company to be fast, agile, and improve their products frequently. As long as it does not impact their own individual products :biggrin:

I didn't get such the email, but if they're trying to do a better job communicating then I'm happy. The failure wasn't that they put out a new feature or are innovating. The failure was that they didn't communicate to their customers very well.

"about a year" may be the date of the release of the X. If so, there could be some significant new stuff leaked over to the S like a bigger battery or trailer towing capability.
Even more out in the realm of unicorns and faeries, but in view of the X being more of a child hauler, they might even engineer in some cup holders!

Even more out in the realm of unicorns and faeries, but in view of the X being more of a child hauler, they might even engineer in some cup holders!

Uh, yeah... Good luck with that! :biggrin:

On a related note -- I've had my Model S with rear-facing child seats for 6 weeks (as of yesterday). Believe it or not, I only unfolded the rear-facing seats for the first time today. And to my extreme shock -- between the two seats is another cupholder!!!

That's kind of like a 50% upgrade I didn't know I had! Yeah, Tesla rocks.