Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to convince Toyota to build EVs again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wraithnot

Model 3 VIN #2942 Model S VIN #5785
Dec 16, 2012
SF Bay Area
In a recent LA times article about hydrogen fuel cell cars, a Toyota executive was quoted as saying "We would like to be still selling cars when there's no more gas. And no one is coming to our door asking us to build a new electric car." Carmakers prepare to shift to hydrogen fuel cells - LA Times

Since it turns out that a number of people have been asking Toyota to build EVs, and industrious EV enthusiast in LA started a petition: Petition · Build electric cars. · Change.org I'd encourage everyone who agrees to sign the petition. Perhaps it will get Toyota's attention.

Personally, I question the benefit of trying to save any company from its own shortsightedness. If Toyota thinks its future is in fool cells, let them place their bets there. When they lose market share because of it, a more worthy company making EVs will fill the void.

I'm tired of propping up corporate stupidity.

In a recent LA times article about hydrogen fuel cell cars, a Toyota executive was quoted as saying "We would like to be still selling cars when there's no more gas. And no one is coming to our door asking us to build a new electric car." Carmakers prepare to shift to hydrogen fuel cells - LA Times

Since it turns out that a number of people have been asking Toyota to build EVs, and industrious EV enthusiast in LA started a petition: Petition · Build electric cars. · Change.org I'd encourage everyone who agrees to sign the petition. Perhaps it will get Toyota's attention.

Who's coming to their door and asking them to build a fool cell car?

Who's coming to their door and asking them to build a fool cell car?

The state of CA which awards them (from memory) 9 credits for their new fuel cell car vs. 3 credits for their Rav 4 EV car. Toyota is only interested in building gasoline based cars. To sell them in CA then need to build some ZEV based car too. They lose money on their ZEVs. If the lose 3x as much money on each fuel cell car they come out even because of the extra credits. And may come out ahead because fuel cell cars can not succeed and threaten the profits of their gasoline cars. Supporting Tesla and EVs is a real risk to Toyota.

Last edited:

I already signed a petition to tell all car makers to build EVs, though it looked a lot like a Tesla Purchase agreement. :cool:

The state of CA which awards them (from memory) 9 credits for their new fuel cell car vs. 3 credits for their Rav 4 EV car. Toyota is only interested in building gasoline based cars. To sell them in CA then need to build some ZEV based car too. They lose money on their ZEVs. If the lose 3x as much money on each fuel cell car they come out even because of the extra credits. And may come out ahead because fuel cell cars can not succeed and threaten the profits of their gasoline cars. Supporting Tesla and EVs is a real risk to Toyota.

Good point.

Toyota is much too busy attacking EVs to consider building one. There's a new Lexus video that takes aim directly at the i3 for a Vegas roadtrip - and the evidence suggests they used the REx version for the video but treated it like the BEV:

The Electric BMW i3: Lexus Video Attacks the i3. Uses Photoshop to Hide the Truth?

With the Superchargers, a Model S has no problem with this roadtrip, but at the moment it's the only BEV that is true of.
Walter

I don't think Toyota will ever build EVs with current battery tech, they will maybe look at EVs with new battery tech, except for some city vehicles like this: Three-Wheeled Toyota i-ROAD Electric Vehicle Becomes Part of France's Smart City Car Sharing Program | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building or local compliance EV cars for China etc.

"Real" Toyota EVs in numbers will probably only arrive when Toyota can use solid-state batteries or similar that satisfy their range goals (probably 2020 or later).

Why bother. Toyota has shown that they're not particularly interested in efficiency anymore. They've pretty much gone back to the bureaucratic way they were before they lost most of their market share (in Japan) and gave the engineers free reign.

I expect to never consider one of their vehicles again in my lifetime.

When I buy new vehicles in the future I believe that Tesla, Nissan, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, VW and even GM may make a non-ICE vehicle that I will consider.
I cross my fingers that Porsche may one day.
Seems likely that Toyota never will.