Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petition to convince Toyota to build EVs again

Model S VIN #5785

Petition to convince Toyota to build EVs again

In a recent LA times article about hydrogen fuel cell cars, a Toyota executive was quoted as saying "We would like to be still selling cars when there's no more gas. And no one is coming to our door asking us to build a new electric car." Carmakers prepare to shift to hydrogen fuel cells - LA Times

Since it turns out that a number of people have been asking Toyota to build EVs, and industrious EV enthusiast in LA started a petition: Petition · Build electric cars. · Change.org I'd encourage everyone who agrees to sign the petition. Perhaps it will get Toyota's attention.
    Reservation #16,132; delivered on 3-2-2013; 85 kWh non-perf, blue/black leather/obeche gloss, tech, sound, air susp, parcel shelf

Items for Sale
    Personally, I question the benefit of trying to save any company from its own shortsightedness. If Toyota thinks its future is in fool cells, let them place their bets there. When they lose market share because of it, a more worthy company making EVs will fill the void.

I'm tired of propping up corporate stupidity.
    P85 | MC Red | Tan Performance Interior | Carbon Fiber Accents | Carbon Fiber Spoiler | 19" Wheels | Leather Accents | Fuzzy Headliner Stuff

VIN 4375
    Quote Originally Posted by wraithnot View Post
    In a recent LA times article about hydrogen fuel cell cars, a Toyota executive was quoted as saying "We would like to be still selling cars when there's no more gas. And no one is coming to our door asking us to build a new electric car." Carmakers prepare to shift to hydrogen fuel cells - LA Times

Since it turns out that a number of people have been asking Toyota to build EVs, and industrious EV enthusiast in LA started a petition: Petition · Build electric cars. · Change.org I'd encourage everyone who agrees to sign the petition. Perhaps it will get Toyota's attention.
    Who's coming to their door and asking them to build a fool cell car?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
    Who's coming to their door and asking them to build a fool cell car?
    The state of CA which awards them (from memory) 9 credits for their new fuel cell car vs. 3 credits for their Rav 4 EV car. Toyota is only interested in building gasoline based cars. To sell them in CA then need to build some ZEV based car too. They lose money on their ZEVs. If the lose 3x as much money on each fuel cell car they come out even because of the extra credits. And may come out ahead because fuel cell cars can not succeed and threaten the profits of their gasoline cars. Supporting Tesla and EVs is a real risk to Toyota.
    Last edited by Six; 2014-11-07 at 04:32 PM.

Sig #997
    Quote Originally Posted by wraithnot View Post

I already signed a petition to tell all car makers to build EVs, though it looked a lot like a Tesla Purchase agreement.
    Sig 997
    Don't listen to me I play with Christmas lights all year long.

VIN 4375
    Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    The state of CA which awards them (from memory) 9 credits for their new fuel cell car vs. 3 credits for their Rav 4 EV car. Toyota is only interested in building gasoline based cars. To sell them in CA then need to build some ZEV based car too. They lose money on their ZEVs. If the lose 3x as much money on each fuel cell car they come out even because of the extra credits. And may come out ahead because fuel cell cars can not succeed and threaten the profits of their gasoline cars. Supporting Tesla and EVs is a real risk to Toyota.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    I already signed a petition to tell all car makers to build EVs, though it looked a lot like a Tesla Purchase agreement.
    This.
    Dr. EVS loves root beer
    Model C P30: 0 - 60 in 8.4, seats 2 + 1

I signed because at the very least Toyota cannot use an excuse that nobody wants them to build EVs.
    60kwh⚪Blue⚪Tan Interior⚪Obeche Matte Wood⚪19"wheels⚪Pano Roof⚪Tech⚪SC
    Reserved:11/12/2012⚪Finalized:1/31/13⚪Delivery email:4/27/13⚪Delivered:5/17/13

Had trouble signing with an iPad!
    SP-2823(sold), Tesla/Rav4EV, P+17252, XP-12

I own a plug-in Prius now so this pisses me off a bit... anyway, I plan on buying a Tesla next time instead of signing a petition. And I will let Toyota know why after that is done.
    Last edited by rabar10; 2014-11-14 at 05:22 AM. Reason: OP request - misspelling fix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information