Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Petition to convince Toyota to build EVs again

  1. #1
    Model S VIN #5785
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    389

    Petition to convince Toyota to build EVs again

    In a recent LA times article about hydrogen fuel cell cars, a Toyota executive was quoted as saying "We would like to be still selling cars when there's no more gas. And no one is coming to our door asking us to build a new electric car." Carmakers prepare to shift to hydrogen fuel cells - LA Times

    Since it turns out that a number of people have been asking Toyota to build EVs, and industrious EV enthusiast in LA started a petition: Petition · Build electric cars. · Change.org I'd encourage everyone who agrees to sign the petition. Perhaps it will get Toyota's attention.
    Reservation #16,132; delivered on 3-2-2013; 85 kWh non-perf, blue/black leather/obeche gloss, tech, sound, air susp, parcel shelf

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    McKinney, TX
    Posts
    451
    Items for Sale
    Personally, I question the benefit of trying to save any company from its own shortsightedness. If Toyota thinks its future is in fool cells, let them place their bets there. When they lose market share because of it, a more worthy company making EVs will fill the void.

    I'm tired of propping up corporate stupidity.
    P85 | MC Red | Tan Performance Interior | Carbon Fiber Accents | Carbon Fiber Spoiler | 19" Wheels | Leather Accents | Fuzzy Headliner Stuff

  3. #3
    VIN 4375
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,630
    Quote Originally Posted by wraithnot View Post
    In a recent LA times article about hydrogen fuel cell cars, a Toyota executive was quoted as saying "We would like to be still selling cars when there's no more gas. And no one is coming to our door asking us to build a new electric car." Carmakers prepare to shift to hydrogen fuel cells - LA Times

    Since it turns out that a number of people have been asking Toyota to build EVs, and industrious EV enthusiast in LA started a petition: Petition · Build electric cars. · Change.org I'd encourage everyone who agrees to sign the petition. Perhaps it will get Toyota's attention.
    Who's coming to their door and asking them to build a fool cell car?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Redmond
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
    Who's coming to their door and asking them to build a fool cell car?
    The state of CA which awards them (from memory) 9 credits for their new fuel cell car vs. 3 credits for their Rav 4 EV car. Toyota is only interested in building gasoline based cars. To sell them in CA then need to build some ZEV based car too. They lose money on their ZEVs. If the lose 3x as much money on each fuel cell car they come out even because of the extra credits. And may come out ahead because fuel cell cars can not succeed and threaten the profits of their gasoline cars. Supporting Tesla and EVs is a real risk to Toyota.
    Last edited by Six; 2014-11-07 at 04:32 PM.

  5. #5
    Sig #997
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by wraithnot View Post
    In a recent LA times article about hydrogen fuel cell cars, a Toyota executive was quoted as saying "We would like to be still selling cars when there's no more gas. And no one is coming to our door asking us to build a new electric car." Carmakers prepare to shift to hydrogen fuel cells - LA Times

    Since it turns out that a number of people have been asking Toyota to build EVs, and industrious EV enthusiast in LA started a petition: Petition · Build electric cars. · Change.org I'd encourage everyone who agrees to sign the petition. Perhaps it will get Toyota's attention.
    I already signed a petition to tell all car makers to build EVs, though it looked a lot like a Tesla Purchase agreement.
    Sig 997
    Don't listen to me I play with Christmas lights all year long.

  6. #6
    VIN 4375
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    The state of CA which awards them (from memory) 9 credits for their new fuel cell car vs. 3 credits for their Rav 4 EV car. Toyota is only interested in building gasoline based cars. To sell them in CA then need to build some ZEV based car too. They lose money on their ZEVs. If the lose 3x as much money on each fuel cell car they come out even because of the extra credits. And may come out ahead because fuel cell cars can not succeed and threaten the profits of their gasoline cars. Supporting Tesla and EVs is a real risk to Toyota.
    Good point.

  7. #7
    Dr. EVS rolosrevenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Redmond
    Posts
    1,653
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    I already signed a petition to tell all car makers to build EVs, though it looked a lot like a Tesla Purchase agreement.
    This.
    Dr. EVS loves root beer
    Model C P30: 0 - 60 in 8.4, seats 2 + 1

  8. #8
    Member Ven Rala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Montgomery County, Md
    Posts
    369
    I signed because at the very least Toyota cannot use an excuse that nobody wants them to build EVs.
    60kwh⚪Blue⚪Tan Interior⚪Obeche Matte Wood⚪19"wheels⚪Pano Roof⚪Tech⚪SC
    Reserved:11/12/2012⚪Finalized:1/31/13⚪Delivery email:4/27/13⚪Delivered:5/17/13

  9. #9
    Senior Member Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    4,280
    Had trouble signing with an iPad!
    SP-2823(sold), Tesla/Rav4EV, P+17252, XP-12

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Regina/Canada
    Posts
    181
    I own a plug-in Prius now so this pisses me off a bit... anyway, I plan on buying a Tesla next time instead of signing a petition. And I will let Toyota know why after that is done.
    Last edited by rabar10; 2014-11-14 at 05:22 AM. Reason: OP request - misspelling fix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Best way to convince a hotel to add chargers?
    By PeterK in forum North America
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 2014-02-12, 09:11 PM
  2. How to convince a wife that a tesla is a great addition to my garage?
    By Brittt1 in forum Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 2014-01-19, 09:33 PM
  3. Change dot Org Petition
    By electrictorque in forum Tesla Motors
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 2013-07-05, 09:43 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2012-06-30, 11:53 PM
  5. Convince me I need a bigger battery
    By BS Mann in forum Model S: Battery & Charging
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 2012-01-29, 10:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •