Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Console Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new Tesla is scheduled for delivery in late December. I have a black interior with piano black trim.

In addition to Tesla, I believe that there are a couple of aftermarket center consoles available.

So...

- Comments pro or con on the center console in general?
- Recommendations of the Tesla product vs. others (and which one)?

Appreciate any thoughts or help!

Personally, I don't see the need for a console. I like the open floor. A center console would just make me feel claustrophobic and detract from the original cleanliness/openness of the interior design. Obviously very subjective. In other words, don't just blow money on it for the hell of it unless you really feel the need for one. You could just wait til you have the car and drive it around for a while and then decide whether or not you want one.

For those who have been around Tesla longer.....what was the philosophy behind not having a console?
Seems so basic and utilitarian for even inexpensive cars to have a center console and small compartments on either side of the front seats.

Tesla focused on the primary features of the Model S when the car was launched.

Many owners like the open space - and were able to adapt to a car that had relatively limited storage space in the glove compartment and the small cubby under the console.

Like with other features that have been since been added (power folding mirrors, parking sensors, heated rear seats, ...), Tesla was able to sell the early cars without those features - which are now available today. And the console was part of that list - something that is nice to have, but the lack of the console didn't prevent them from selling their early cars.

I've had the Tesla console for several months, and it's been great to have not only additional covered storage - but also the option for one or two larger cupholders in the front seats. Plus, I like having my phone docked in the console and charging, rather than having it plugged in with a cord and sitting on the cubby shelf.

The only negative I've had is with the charging connector. The provided connector doesn't work when the phone is in a case, and requires a small manual adjustment to the console's connector to get it to protrude far enough to work with a phone inside a case.

There are also 3rd party alternatives to the Tesla console, which should also be considered. Unlike other cars - Tesla owners have the choice of several console options...

We went to Bed Bath and Beyond and found a nice little black basket that tucks under the dash area and three small metal mesh baskets that fit nicely between that basket and the armrest. We use the black basket for a trash bin and the lttle metal baskets for change and other odds and ends. They are not mounted, just slid into place and have worked out very well still maintaining that open feel.

@majorlance, if you want to create a mess in the open area and look at it every day, do it without the center console. I own my MS for 20 months and getting tired of looking at my mess every day. I admit I'm a little lazy to clean up and can't wait to see my center console arrived. By the way, I like the Tesla center console design the best and that's the reason I'm still waiting (obeche).

Originally I liked the open space and after living with that for 18 months I realize I want a consol. Do not like all the stuff that collects and dust and pieces of debris that is hard to vacuum. So will have my Tesla center consol installed this month. Also it started to look unfinished to me, like something is missing.

Hate the location of the cupholders in the arm rest, and they really work poorly with the tall white Tesla travel mug that I have. Want the console just for better located, more stable cupholder - the added storage and iPhone dock are a bonus for me. Waiting for the Tesla obeche gloss version, which they told me 6 months ago would be available in November.

I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:

Hate the location of the cupholders in the arm rest, and they really work poorly with the tall white Tesla travel mug that I have. Want the console just for better located, more stable cupholder - the added storage and iPhone dock are a bonus for me. Waiting for the Tesla obeche gloss version, which they told me 6 months ago would be available in November.

I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:
Me too on the cup holder I have mail box keys and Usb and breath mints where the cup holders are.

I had the console installed yesterday and done 500+ miles since.

Love it:
- car looks more finished
- didn't like stuff floating about in the open space
- love that I can now store items in different pockets, sunglasses, keys, wallet while on the road
- can leave stuff invisibly when parked

Phone dock takes getting used to do one handed and you can't really see the screen anyway. It charges.

This

Attachments

• WP_20141108_007.jpg
    WP_20141108_007.jpg
    932.5 KB · Views: 656
  • WP_20141108_008.jpg
    WP_20141108_008.jpg
    977 KB · Views: 627
  • WP_20141108_005.jpg
    WP_20141108_005.jpg
    910 KB · Views: 625