Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chademo at Whole Foods

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JPP

Feb 4, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
The SF Bay Area has always been EV friendly, with lots of charging opportunities at parking garages, workplaces, and Whole Foods markets. These are almost universally J1772 (ChargePoint or Sema) with rare Blink stations. My local Whole Foods began some construction next to the existing 2 ChargePoint stations, hidden by opaque construction fencing. The fence is now down, and I see that they have installed 2 new charging stations. The left hand one is a Nissan branded Chademo station, and the right hand one is not completed but it looks like it will have 2 additional cables and connectors (not clear to me what these will be yet).

View attachment 63098

Not sure what the imposing pylon is in front of the stanchions (?electrical equipment). I do see some kind of RFID card reader on the Chademo unit--unsure of what network it would belong to.

View attachment 63097

Also not sure who paid for the hardware, and if it will still be free/no charge (as is the ChargePoint, though you of course need a ChargePoint account and RFID card).

The SF Bay Area has always been EV friendly, with lots of charging opportunities at parking garages, workplaces, and Whole Foods markets. These are almost universally J1772 (ChargePoint or Sema) with rare Blink stations. My local Whole Foods began some construction next to the existing 2 ChargePoint stations, hidden by opaque construction fencing. The fence is now down, and I see that they have installed 2 new charging stations. The left hand one is a Nissan branded Chademo station, and the right hand one is not completed but it looks like it will have 2 additional cables and connectors (not clear to me what these will be yet).

View attachment 63098

Not sure what the imposing pylon is in front of the stanchions (?electrical equipment). I do see some kind of RFID card reader on the Chademo unit--unsure of what network it would belong to.

View attachment 63097

Also not sure who paid for the hardware, and if it will still be free/no charge (as is the ChargePoint, though you of course need a ChargePoint account and RFID card).

Are the additional cables to enable the station to be a "combo" unit perhaps?

Attachment links not working for me.

Sorry-something happened to the photos. Will edit post tonight (no access to photos now).

- - - Updated - - -

Are the additional cables to enable the station to be a "combo" unit perhaps?

I don't see the additional cables attached to the right hand unit yet so cannot tell what type/voltage/current they will be.

Sorry-something happened to the photos. Will edit post tonight (no access to photos now).

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see the additional cables attached to the right hand unit yet so cannot tell what type/voltage/current they will be.
eVgo seems to have some sort of deal with Whole Foods, as they have or are installing Freedom stations at many of them. All new Freedom stations are required to be dual standard (CHAdeMO/CCS), and older CHAdeMO-only stations are required to be backfitted with CCS, often by installing a new dual-standard charger next to the CHAdeMo-only one.

@JPP, what location are you talking about? The Cupertino and Los Altos Whole Foods locations host NRG eVgo Freedom stations. Both of those are CHAdeMO only right now. The Mountain View location in front of the Nob Hill Foods has to DCFC units, a Nissan CHAdeMO and an ABB SAE Combo charger. This is a good picture from PlugShare of the Mountain View location, showing all the equipment.

57220.jpg

Starting from the left, a NRG branded ChargePoint L2, the Nissan CHAdeMO, the ABB SAE Combo charger, and their junction box and lamp post combo. Sometimes the junction box unit has an additional L2 unit that just has the J1772 cable and a card reader, without any kind of display.

miimura-

Lafayette CA Whole Foods. Yes, looks like in addition to the old ChargePoint L2 J1772, we are getting the Nissan CHAdeMo and some other kind of combo charger. Did not realize that the junction box can also be a lamppost. Photos:

Chademo1.jpg
Chademo2.jpg

That is the ABB Terra 53CJ. So, this location will have redundant CHAdeMO, one on the Nissan unit and one on the ABB unit. This is the way to go IMHO. The Mountain View location is really sub-optimal because it is SO much more likely that you could have two CHAdeMO cars there than one CHAdeMO and one SAE Combo car at the same time. Much better utilization of equipment for not much more money.