Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Culver City, CA (16 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted last week about possible construction that I suspected might be a new Supercharger at the Fox Hills Mall at Culver City, today during lunch I stopped by and saw some work, the workers confirmed it was a new "Tesla charging site". Here a couple of pictures from today.

I didn't have time to talk to them and they looked busy, but I'll keep you posted. I expect to see some Tesla Equipment soon but it looked like they were clearing the area for the distribution and super charger pad. Right now I'm going to guess 10 spots based on what they have blocked off.

Here is the location: https://goo.gl/maps/GQp75

2014-11-05 15.49.24.jpg
2014-11-05 15.49.34.jpg
2014-11-05 15.50.06.jpg

Really? So close to Hawthorne? I thought the plan was to have a more centrally located LA SpC off the 5.

I don't work near the 5. For all I know there might be one just like this one. It seems possible that any other Westfield mall may be considering a supercharger, don't forget that Tesla has a presence at a couple of them (though not at Culver City...go figure).

- - - Updated - - -

Eeeeeennnteresting.... nice find! I fear it'll be mobbed by locals and Tesla limo operators, but, that's LA...

I was considering it...:cool:

Our parking structure has a charge point charger...now this.

Great find! Yes, it's close to Hawthorne, but the amount of Teslas in that area justifies multiple charging sites. There can never be enough superchargers. Yes, California has a ton of superchargers, but you've gotta take care of that core base of customers first.

Great find! Yes, it's close to Hawthorne, but the amount of Teslas in that area justifies multiple charging sites. There can never be enough superchargers. Yes, California has a ton of superchargers, but you've gotta take care of that core base of customers first.
Agreed, and there will be significant demand from locals who live in apartment/condo buildings. While it's good to start with an inter-city charging network serving owners who have a garage, eventually there will need to be urban coverage like what TM is building in the UK, Japan, and China.

This is incredibly good news. Not just because I live close and have need, from time to time, but also because it is a lot more convenient for North/South travelers who don't want to haul ass all the way out to Hawthorne. Great if you are picking someone up at the airport, bad if you want to drive from San Diego to San Francisco.

Very interesting. This new SC so close to the Hawthorne SC seems to validate statements by Elon earlier this year that Tesla will likely build SCs in some cities, not just outside urban areas as they have been doing (Hawthorne being the exception for obvious reasons). I do hope that Tesla puts an SC in the Pasadena/San Gabriel area.

superchargers are as useful in cities as they are along freeways. most of the traffic is happening in cities so people need to charge there. often it's better to charge for 20 at a SC rather than finding a parking spot that has Level 2 charging that is slow.

Wow, NoCO, so you were right! Very impressive that you were able to identify it based on some fenced off parking spaces.

Not the most necessary spot for a Supercharger but the more the better! I hope this is not the dot that looked to be northeast of Hawthorne, though.

That fence had been up for a few weeks and I walked by often and never gave it any consideration...then it was like the Johnathan Winter's character in "Its a Mad Mad Mad world" when he spots the big "W".

I played around on supercharge.info and based on the Tesla coming soon position, I'm thinking it could be the Citadel outlet...or...Santa Anita Mall (which is a Westfield) in Arcadia, but the circle appears closer to the Citadel.

If I had some time and I'm in the area, I might make a detour and drive around those places...I'll wait for Culver City or Hawthorne to complete first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not far from the Santa Anita mall but I don't see it being there (...but I didn't think there would be one at Fox Hills either). Arcadia does nothing for north-south traffic and its only 30 miles from Rancho. Citadel looks to be well-positioned just off the 5 and around 80 miles from Tejon and 50 from SJC.

As far as Culver City, I guess this is more of a "destination charger" for the benefit of locals who live in apartments and don't have garages.

I don't think that there are any pictures of Tesla gear, a building permit, or any other evidence that this is an actual Supercharger Site. Unless I missed something, all we have is a promising looking fence and some hopes.

If there is direct evidence that this is a Tesla Supercharger Site, please remind me.

I don't think that there are any pictures of Tesla gear, a building permit, or any other evidence that this is an actual Supercharger Site. Unless I missed something, all we have is a promising looking fence and some hopes.

If there is direct evidence that this is a Tesla Supercharger Site, please remind me.

From the OP:
the workers confirmed it was a new "Tesla charging site"

It was confirmed to be a supercharger from the construction workers at the site.

It was confirmed to be a supercharger from the construction workers at the site.

Not to be picky, but workers confirmation that it will be "Tesla charging site" does not mean it will be a Supercharger Site. It probably will be a Supercharger Site, but it could be a location for several HPWC's; I know that is unlikely, but it is possible; just being careful...

I hope that we get solid confirmation soon. The more Superchargers the better.

FYI All: I work across from the site M,W,F and will post in the evening, if there are noticeable changes.

Today at lunch the workers were starting to hand trench under the walk way, so I had a chance to talk to them. This crew/company is the same one doing the construction at Hawthorne, for this reason and because of it's proximity to Hawthorne, I don't think I'll be seeing Tesla equipment until it is needed, I noticed that Hawthorne doesn't didn't have it outside either.

I can confirm that this is definitely a Supercharger location, there will be 12 total charging stalls (7 on the side with the equipment and 5 on the other side) using six SC cabinets. I asked if they were putting a battery unit as well and the worker seemed to think that was part of the plan. They are planning to start laying the conduit runs on Wednesday. The power to the SC is a potential issue as I believe he said the run was about a hundred yards to the power main. I don't think there are any right away issues.

Now to make this an absolute, the construction permit was pulled 10/09/2014 (which matches when I first saw the fence go up) and the permit # 87922 and the site to look at it is https://www.velocityhall.com/accela/velohall/search/index.cfm

The permit is for:
Install 12 charging stations for electric vehicles, 6 super-charging cabinets surrounded by a masonry wall, 1 utility transformer on concrete pad

So the only question is the battery unit, it's not on the permit so the work might be confused, Hawthorne has what appears to be three of them installed (no pictures).

Now on to some shots from today.
2014-11-07 12.35.41.jpg
2014-11-07 15.23.13.jpg
2014-11-07 15.23.18.jpg
2014-11-07 15.23.41.jpg