Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where has the Lacewood gone TM?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I was shopping for my 85D, the rep told me the lacewood had been dropped because there was too much variability between the showroom model and the vehicle delivered, and people would freak out because what got built into their car didn't look like what they saw on their test drive. All very well to say "look, it's a natural product, of course there's variability", but if they were really creating customer dissatisfaction that way, getting rid of the option does seem like a sure-fire way to address it. (Of course, that was one rep's view.)

IMO it's a pity. I found the Obeche to be boring (sorry, Obeche owners), ditto the Piano, so I ended up with Carbon Fiber. I would have seriously considered the lacewood.

@jgs, thanks for posting that, it makes a lot of sense. I got the Lacewood and like it very much but I can understand why Tesla decided not to continue with it.

When I was shopping for my 85D, the rep told me the lacewood had been dropped because there was too much variability between the showroom model and the vehicle delivered, and people would freak out because what got built into their car didn't look like what they saw on their test drive. All very well to say "look, it's a natural product, of course there's variability", but if they were really creating customer dissatisfaction that way, getting rid of the option does seem like a sure-fire way to address it. (Of course, that was one rep's view.)

It is definitely a shame they discontinued the Lacewood. Like others have stated, carbon fiber is great too, and would be my second choice.

Hopefully they bring in another interesting wood choice, but I can see that less options means less manufacturing costs too. It's all business in the end.