Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes to Ordering Page - not good for budget buyers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several changes to the ordering page tonight after the Q3 earnings call...
- no more green or brown as colour choices.
- no longer able to get dual motor AWD on the 60.
- no option for solid black roof.
- dual motor AWD on the 85 has gone up $1100.
- P85 no longer an option

These changes really suck for people buying on the lower end. I love the solid black roof, especially on white. Dual motor AWD on the 60 was nice to have as an option. Now if you want/require awd, you are looking at over 100k after tax for the 85D.

Also, the X is pushed back to Q3 2015. Now the question is will they offer the X in a 60???

I don't see how any of the changes affect budget buyers at all. The price of a 60, the least expensive Model S, is unchanged. Removing two color and one roof option from the entire line has nothing to do with pricing.

If they're not building dual motor 60 drivetrains for the S in order to simplify production, I think that answers your question about the X.

Since they won't be making a RWD X, do you think the 85kWh will be the entry level battery? Is this a harbinger of a bigger battery in Q3/15?

I expect so. I could be completely off base, but I suspect that the introduction of the P85D was partly due to the inability to provide the next boost in battery size yet. Tesla will generate some sales from the AWD S before the X is available. Then, at the time the X is introduced maybe there will be new, larger, battery pack sizes. This avoids introducing a Tesla with a range lower than the S 60, and it gives them yet another "new" thing to sell, with the top-of-the-range S probably being slightly faster and definitely with more range. There will probably be existing S owners willing to pay just to upgrade to a bigger battery. And a bigger battery on the top-of-the-range X may mollify some customers who are understandably miffed at the long delay.

It will have been nearly four years without any increase in battery density; surely an increase will be possible by then.

I have a confirmed 60D order since mid October. I really hope they build the existing orders but unfortunately it's not looking good right now. I can't imagine three weeks worth of orders will make a huge difference to their assembly plant streamlining plans. Anyone else in the same situation?

I have a confirmed 60D order since mid October. I really hope they build the existing orders but unfortunately it's not looking good right now. I can't imagine three weeks worth of orders will make a huge difference to their assembly plant streamlining plans. Anyone else in the same situation?

Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll give you a software-disabled 85D. :)

(Remember the 40?)

Actually, I can't imagine this being an issue, because the hardware difference between a 60D and 85D is literally one part that can be swapped out in a minute and a half. (According to the battery swap demo).

Good point on the battery swap. My DS wasn't optimistic about any 60D's being built. He said someone would call to discuss options. I'd be happy with a software disabled 85D. I don't need the range as much as the winter traction, hence my choice for the 60D. I thought it was the perfect car for our Canadian winters and still under 100K well equipped.

Good point on the battery swap. My DS wasn't optimistic about any 60D's being built. He said someone would call to discuss options. I'd be happy with a software disabled 85D. I don't need the range as much as the winter traction, hence my choice for the 60D. I thought it was the perfect car for our Canadian winters and still under 100K well equipped.

Yes, that was my point. 60D was great for people in our climate who want to stay under 100k for their order.