Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Early S Owners, When Should I Finalize my X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put down a deposit on a Model X pretty early on and have a reservation number in the 1,300's. As time has gone by and I have read about the issues early Model S adopters had I started to wonder if I will be getting my X too soon. I realize that there will be about 1,000 signature X's and 1,300 regular X's delivered before I receive mine. I have then started to rationalize that Tesla did not have any production experience of building a car from start to finish when they began manufacturing the S and that the Model X will be based on the same platform sharing many of the same parts as the S, therefore Tesla's ramp up with the X will be quicker with fewer issues on the first XXXX cars built. Of course I am trying to rationalize that get the 2,3xx car is the perfect place to be. With all of this said, I'd like to hear from the early adopters of the S how many cars were built before the majority of the issues with the car were resolved. Was it 2,000 cars or 10,000 cars? For those of you who received an early car with issues, how many issues were there and are you satisfied that your car is now as good as cars built 6-9 months after yours?

Issues? I've had a few, but too few to mention

Really, it has been minor stuff like water in taillamps or rattles here and there that Service has taken care of.
You never know when bigger things like A vs B batteries or autopilot sensors might pop up, so don't second guess yourself.
It's worth it to start driving a Tesla as soon as possible! It was fun waving to other cars in the beginning too.

One thing that might happen again was out-of order production in the beginning, depending on configuration.
My reservation # was 1440 but because I ordered a 60 I had to wait 2-3 months and ended up with VIN 3606.
I wouldn't be surprised if they concentrate the first few months on cranking out XP85D's and delaying X60's.

I got an early car - Model S VIN 112. I did have a couple of common problems: the fobs were shipped inside the car and arrived with low batteries; the door handles eventually started being recalcitrant, and there were some minor issues with the sunroof. Tesla addressed all of these quickly and simply (and they even came to our house to pick up the car and leave us a loaner, so there was no inconvenience to us) and we have no current complaints with the car. I have no regrets buying an early model. It's met all of my expectations; and in fact with some of the firmware updates and our 11,000-mile Supercharger trip last month, it's exceeding the expectations we had when we placed the order.

Tesla will always constantly improve their cars so if you are happy with the car you currently have, putting off the Tesla purchase will always get you a better Tesla when you do buy. But if the Tesla is much better than the car you have now (pretty likely), then it makes sense to get the Tesla sooner.

Last edited:
Yep, this is all good advice. I would say that if you can hold off and delay production, then by all means do so. The biggest thing I learned is to not get a Sig. Of course, it's all relative so if you want to get the first X in your area and that's your thing, well good for you. Otherwise, it can't hurt to wait.