Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Delayed until Q3 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already have two Teslas so the X is not a critical acquisition, and my state's EV sales tax exemption is slated to expire in Q2 2015. There is an excellent chance this means I will cancel my X reservation.

I can't afford one yet, so I'm watching from the sidelines, but delayed until Q3? wow! This is becoming a clusterf*** of delays. I'm all for a perfect product, but come on. The X better be freakin amazing!

I find that very disappointing. That probably pushes me back a year from when we expected to take delivery. My wife's current vehicle, which the X is replacing, will be 10 years old and probably have 170k miles by then. It does give us a bit more time to save so we can, hopefully, pay cash, but all things considered I'd rather have taken a small loan and had the vehicle sooner.

I wonder if they're hoping to get more conversions to the S?

hopefully in the call the analysts will push hard on the X.

Last call and in interviews Elon has been known to say they have actively been trying to "antisell" the X. They will want a lot of experience from Model S D's on the road before going in to volume production of the X. Demand is not an issue so they can play it this way and still have waiting times for the S.

Last call and in interviews Elon has been known to say they have actively been trying to "antisell" the X. They will want a lot of experience from Model S D's on the road before going in to volume production of the X. .

Yeah, this doesn't make sense. Maybe they didn't realize what they were doing, but you would think a year ago they would have offered the dual motors on the S first, THEN allowed reservations for the X. It all seems backwards.

The Model X is starting to remind me of the Aptera EV delays.

Anyone else remember the Aptera? Three-wheeled electric car that had all kinds of promise, but then it turned out they were blithering idiots who couldn't build a paper airplane let alone an electric car, and had even less of an ability to market it? I plunked down a reservation for that and years went by.

I'm glad I'm not holding out for a Model X at this point. I am sure the car is going to be amazing, but geez, these delays are brutal.

One can only imagine how delayed the Model 3 is gonna be. 2019, anyone?

Last call and in interviews Elon has been known to say they have actively been trying to "antisell" the X. They will want a lot of experience from Model S D's on the road before going in to volume production of the X. Demand is not an issue so they can play it this way and still have waiting times for the S.

The shareholder letter used more confident and strident language when talking about power train development for the X than the rest of the model.

Using my ******** translator, honed after years of being an equity analyst, I get the distinct impression they are re-engineering some of the non power train components.

I was one of the first 100 people on the Aptera. Glad Tesla came out with the Model S. Way happier!

The Model X is starting to remind me of the Aptera EV delays.

Anyone else remember the Aptera? Three-wheeled electric car that had all kinds of promise, but then it turned out they were blithering idiots who couldn't build a paper airplane let alone an electric car, and had even less of an ability to market it? I plunked down a reservation for that and years went by.

I'm glad I'm not holding out for a Model X at this point. I am sure the car is going to be amazing, but geez, these delays are brutal.

One can only imagine how delayed the Model 3 is gonna be. 2019, anyone?

I was one of the first 100 people on the Aptera. Glad Tesla came out with the Model S. Way happier!

Me too. I can only imagine what would've happened if they'd actually shipped the Aptera and I was driving around with this ridiculous 3-wheeled thingie that was full of mechanical and electrical reliability problems and lousy range etc etc.... the S has exceeded my every expectation for an electric car.

Now if they can just get the X out of the factory.........

Disappointing but only adds a few months to my expectations (reserved in Dec 2013). If I'd have reserved closer to the "unveiling" I'd be getting pretty antsy by now. Not sure why all of this "validation" testing couldn't have happened some time ago.

This is a big problem here ind Denmark as all EV incentives ends by 31.12 2015 meaning that we risk a 180% sales tax added to the car, so a 100.000 USD Tesla will end up getting a price tag of nearly 300.000 USD here in Denmark. Hope that they can deliver to us here in DK before the end of 2015, but i doubt this will happen...

/Martin

I don't mind the delay, as it gives Tesla more opportunity to build out the Supercharger network. When our Model X arrives, we will be an all-Tesla family, and gas cars will be a thing of the past for us. We won't want to be restricted based on charging infrastructure at that point!

Given that WA state's EV sales tax exemption expires on July 1, 2015, and my Signature X order was an attempt to get in before that expired, now with the push to Q3 I'll almost certainly drop my Sig reservation and fall back to my regular X reservation.

I’m not giving up my reservation or my stock. Doesn’t mean I’m not dissapointed. Doesn’t mean my coworkers won’t be making more jokes about the invisible car that hasn’t yet travelled back from the future. I could drive that car for 10 years so what’s another couple quarters? (a lot really, if you count all of the delays so far).

it's disappointing, not sure what we will do. we love our P85+ but it's becoming a timing and money issue. our Leaf lease ends in February so we will be needing to replace it with something and as long as the Falcon door/roof rack compatibility is left unclear by Tesla it leaves uncertainty for us about going through with the reservation. Also, the WA state sales tax exemption is set to expire next June and I have my doubts that it will be extended, at least not to big ticket item cars, so that's possibly + 10%. if the X were coming out first or second quarter, we'd still have a chance of getting the exemption and we would be willing to find a way to fill the gap between the end of the lease and delivery, but now I'm not so sure. we may just go with another commuter EV like the KIA soul and let this all play out through another lease cycle. what we really want in the long run is a Toyota highlander like EV SUV, preferable a Tesla.

I already have two Teslas so the X is not a critical acquisition, and my state's EV sales tax exemption is slated to expire in Q2 2015. There is an excellent chance this means I will cancel my X reservation.

The election yesterday makes it less likely that the WA state EV sales tax exemption will be extended beyond July 1, 2015. But it is still possible. If renewed it is likely to have a dollar cap. So there will almost certainly be some sales tax on Model Xs delivered in WA.

I would expect that Tesla will get a number of WA cancelations because of this, especially with dual motor Model S as an option that will have a sales tax exemption in Q1 and Q2.