Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario - EV charging incentive program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a quick TMC search for this topic (very quick), and didn't see anything, so hopefully this hasn't already been answered.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has taken advantage of the charging station / installation rebate WELL AFTER the purchase of their car. I read over the rebate requirements (Electric vehicle charging incentive program), and didn't see anything about having to do the charging station installation at the same time as purchasing your car (or within a certain timeframe).

I received my MS March 2013 and had an electrician friend do a NEMA 14-50 installation in my garage. My wife and I are having a new home built and I'm looking to install the HPWC, while hopefully taking advantage of the rebate.

Anyone?

Not sure - but there are at least two individuals on eBay who seem to be doing quite nicely out of the rebate

Not sure either how they are getting away with it - but seeing HPWCs on there with a starting price of $1 and eventually selling for around $400-500, how else can they be getting them?

Last edited:
Not sure how they are getting away with it - but seeing HPWCs on there with a starting price of $1 and eventually selling for around $400-500, how else can they be getting them?

The Ontario rebate covers up to 50% of the installation costs and up to 50% of an approved EVSE up to a cap. The installation has to be inspected and passed by the Ontario Electrical Safety Authority as well, so there is no rebate if it is not properly installed. Not sure what is happening over on eBay, but there would be no rebate for uninstalled units... at least in Ontario.

EDIT: I believe it is also tied one to one with owners who have already taken advantage of the EV rebate first. In other words, one per owned vehicle.

Here is the link that explains the eligibility:Electric vehicle charging incentive program

Yup, same link I posted. I don't think I'll have an issue taking advantage of the rebate. I was just worried that both the car purchase and the installation had to be within a certain time period.

I think I'm good. As mknox mentioned, as long as I have received a rebate on my car (which I have), it should be fine.

Ontario EV charging incentive program

I have my HPWC installed and my car. The HPWC was installed by a licensed electrician. Do I still need a certificate of inspection? If so who do I get to do the inspection, or can my electrician do the inspection or recommend someone?

I have my HPWC installed and my car. The HPWC was installed by a licensed electrician. Do I still need a certificate of inspection? If so who do I get to do the inspection, or can my electrician do the inspection or recommend someone?

Yes, you need an inspection certificate to get the rebate. The inspection is done by ESA, but your electrician should have arranged for the inspection and provided the certificate. Give ESA a call and ask if you can arrange an inspection, or if the electrician needs to do it.

If the electrician has the proper qualifications( contractors licence), then he must take out the permit. If he does not the home owner can take the permit from ESA. Home owner is now responsible for all defects.

BTW all electrical installations must be inspected, some electrical contractors are part of the authorized contractor program (ACP). As part of this program not all installs a subject to inspection but they must still take out a permit. A certificate is still issued even though it is not inspected.

Last edited:
Yes, you need an inspection certificate to get the rebate. The inspection is done by ESA, but your electrician should have arranged for the inspection and provided the certificate. Give ESA a call and ask if you can arrange an inspection, or if the electrician needs to do it.

i would talk to your electrician first. A lot of simple little work like this gets done without a permit, and if he's a friend you don't want to blind side the guy.

Ok - this is from the MTO guide and it clarifies it:

• If a licensed electrical contractor carries out the work the certificate can be obtained from the contractor.
  • If an authorized person, other than a licensed electrical contractor, carries out the electrical work, the certificate of inspection can be obtained from the ESA

Last edited: