Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S85D upgrade to P85D anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like most US S85D orders, i am waiting for Feb 2015 and that gives me more time to play with the design after the options on P85D were relaxed. Its coming down to 20K on top of my S85D to get the P85D.

Now the question is if i can afford another 20K for P85D should i get that?

Is the % deprecation of S85D and P85D the same?

My Feb S85D might not have the new seats?

What other questions should i get answers for before i make the call.

I am not too eager to get the P85D in Dec.

I had originally configured the 85D but after driving the 85 and P85 (no D is available at any store yet) I decided I needed the extra power, especially after coming from a sub-4 second 0-60 AWD car. This was the main reason I went for the P85D.

The other five items that got me to switch were, in order of importance:

1. Next-gen "bucket" seats: while spiritedly test-driving the P85 through twisty roads, I definitely felt the existing seats were not up to par on lateral support. Next-gen will likely be available for non-P85D models, but I'm not sure when that will be and am not willing to wait.

2. December vs. Feb delivery: since I'm not leasing, the $7500 fed credit would have to wait an extra year since it's a refund on tax liability for the fiscal year during which the car was delivered. Again, not being the most patient person in the world, I wasn't willing to wait (and can invest the $7500 in the meantime).

3. "Free" alcantara headliner: it's an extra $1500 for the non-P models, whereas it's included in the P versions. Not a huge difference given the $100+k price tag, but nice to have and reduces the perceived added cost of the P85D versus 85D.

4. Carbon fiber spoiler: it's not available in non-P models, and even though I won't be driving at 100+ mph most of the time, I do like the way it looks a lot - especially on the red paint.

5. Red calipers: also not available on non-P models, and looks amazing with red paint!

As to your question on depreciation, the Guaranteed Resale Value gives a year 3 price of 50% of the 60kWh plus 43% of any options above including the 85kWh battery, so the depreciation of any option is 57% over 3 years.
Not sure it 85D would depreciate more or less than the P85D in the eyes of buyers other than Tesla itself, but as far as Tesla is concerned they value the drop % in price the same between those 2 models. I would personally value the P85D more given its amazing performance.

At the end of the day, it's a personal choice and no one can make the call but yourself. It all comes down to whether you value the additional performance and option choices the P85D offers. I certainly did :biggrin:

Last edited:
I originally ordered the 85D in mid October and then switched it to the P85D ten days later... I think that I had just too much time to think about it! ;)

The performance of the 85D at 5.4s 0 -60 was fine (on par with my MB S550) but the prospects of the same thing in 3.2 seconds was interesting... to say the least. I also was attracted to the next gen seats but in my case I hope they are generally more comfortable.

Other than that, even if they depreciate at the same percentage you'll still loose more in real dollars on the P85D as it costs more. And my hunch is that we'll see greater percentage depreciation on the P vs. the regular S. But... I can't wait to take delivery in December!

I doubt the spoiler has any real effect on performance, even at higher speeds. It's purely a cosmetic feature. And a nice one.

Tesla's Model S configuration site states "Improve high speed stability by adding the carbon fiber spoiler to your trunk lid."

Of course, it may just make a very small improvement but I believe it helps nonetheless, though as I mentioned it would only be felt at very high speeds.

$20k difference is a bargain if you take into consideration what Porsche charges for Panameras.

Panamera - $80k
Panamera 4S - $100k
Panamera Turbo - $140k
Panamera Turbo S - $180k

P85D will be faster than Turbo S. Feel better about justifying it now? ;)

By the way, the new seats are fantastic. Comfortable and supportive!

Did you try out the new seats?

Me? Yes. Both front and rear ones. Loved them! They reminded me seats in current AMG cars. Sporty yet comfortable at the same time.
Although I am a little concerned that the rear seat will not fully fold down because of side bolsters. Otherwise, it's a big improvement over our VIN 13k car.

Can you please comment the ability to adjust lumbar support on the front seats?

I can't. Tesla got us all well liqueured up beforehand, so I didn't even care about adjusting the seat at that point. It felt really great though. I am 80% sure they will be more comfortable on longer drives than the current seats.

Next-gen "bucket" seats: while spiritedly test-driving the P85 through twisty roads, I definitely felt the existing seats were not up to par on lateral support. Next-gen will likely be available for non-P85D models, but I'm not sure when that will be and am not willing to wait.

I too have to believe TM chose to name the new seats "Next-Gen" rather than something like "Performance Plus" (or something much more creative) with the intent to expand as a selectable option to at least the S85 line. I mean, can you see answering the question, "Which seats did you select" with "the Last-Gen ones"?:wink: If, like most options, TM built in a significant net margin, it seems more than reasonable they would like to increase the ASP among the majority of new owners who, I believe and history indicates, will overwhemingly select the S85 or S85D over the P85D. I'm willing to wait until at least March to find out...I want my MS by the time my son is out of school for the summer.

I am just checking the Design Studio Page, and there are now only three Models available.

P85D (dual motor)

No longer any S60D nor S85D nor P85 (without the D).
No longer Brown nor Green exterior colors.
No longer Lacewood Dash.
And I cannot find the upgraded Next Gen (Recaro) seats???
Next Gen seats (along with Tech package, air suspension, 21" wheels) are recommended to be ordered with the High Performance Dual Motor, but they are not indicated on the page...

New top speed for the 85 is 140 mph.
New range for 85 is 285 @ 65 mph.

I am just checking the Design Studio Page, and there are now only three Models available.

P85D (dual motor)

No longer any S60D nor S85D nor P85 (without the D).
No longer Brown nor Green exterior colors.
No longer Lacewood Dash.
And I cannot find the upgraded Next Gen (Recaro) seats???
Next Gen seats (along with Tech package, air suspension, 21" wheels) are recommended to be ordered with the High Performance Dual Motor, but they are not indicated on the page...

New top speed for the 85 is 140 mph.
New range for 85 is 285 @ 65 mph.

Yes, but if you select the 85, you get two choices for the either a RWD or DM AWD. There are 4 choices: 65, 85, 85D, P85D.

I guess I am the exception here but the S85D has more than adequate performance and longer range. From an engineering perspective materials (motors, gear boxes, batteries) last longer if you do not frequently push them to the limit. So the slightly lower performance of the standard drive would translate to longer life. Just my $.02 but the 295 miles of range is more important than out draging the Porsche turbo as we frequently go on trips and 600 miles in a day is not uncommon especially with the parents and kids are not close by.

I thought the Next Gen seats come standard with the P85D. Not yet available as an option on the other Model S versions.

They don't come standard with the P85D. They are a $3,500 option (as opposed to $1,500 for previous gen leather seats).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415462730.054601.jpg

From an engineering perspective materials (motors, gear boxes, batteries) last longer if you do not frequently push them to the limit. So the slightly lower performance of the standard drive would translate to longer life.

Agreed with your first sentence, disagree with your second - which is why I went for the P85D. Given that the 85D has less powerful motors, I would definitely find myself pushing them harder (closer to their limit) much more often than the more-powerful P85D's motors to get the same performance out of the car. That decision came only after test-driving the 85 and P85 back-to-back.