Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US Spec Car in Norway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very curious as to what is required to bring a US Spec car into Norway. What sort of Duties/Taxes would be applicable? Lighting modifications? Most importantly is it feasible to even charge the car in Norway with the US Spec charge port? Is J1772 an option? (My apologies for all of the questions, but I have heard stories of people importing US Spec cars to Norway and these questions crossed my mind)

There will be many, many issues that makes this extremely "not worth it". Homologation will cost a lot: inspection fees, required mods (lights for one). SC won't work. Home charging could work but only 1-phase with a US EVSE (either J1772 or HPWC). Data connection won't work. Etc etc. Warrantly likely not valid?

Any idea why the difference in the SC charging? I would have thought SC's, being Tesla proprietary, would have been the same world wide. Just curious.
Type 2 is the standard for all new European cars and AC charging points. Type 2 also supports three-phase, which allows the Model S to charge at 22 kW almost anywhere, instead of the aforementioned 7.3 kW.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the great info so far! If I recall correctly the guy I spoke with was only moving there for a year or so with his company? I don't believe any tax will be required but what about duties, and how much would it even cost to ship a car from the east coast of the US to Norway?

Thanks for all of the great info so far! If I recall correctly the guy I spoke with was only moving there for a year or so with his company? I don't believe any tax will be required but what about duties, and how much would it even cost to ship a car from the east coast of the US to Norway?

If you are staying for only a year, and have a contract that shows this, it's possible to keep the car registrered abroad and drive it in Norway with the foreign number plates for a year (possible to apply for up to two years) without registrering it here. It would still have to conform to the legal requirements with regards to lights etc. though. In that case there would be neither tax nor duties, which are anyway basically zero with an EV. I checked shipping from the US to Norway for a classic car I wanted to buy once, it was actually quite cheap (IIRC $2000 + insurance) but takes 4-6 weeks.

Also, would this be a good option for a US Spec car in Norway?

ECS, International plug connected | ClipperCreek Vehicle Charging Station

Maybe. That one is probably much cheaper than what you can get here. But if it's too fussy abould checking grounding faults, it won't work on IT power grid found in approx 75% av Norway.

Also, EV charging with schuko sockets should not exceed 10A. 13A was allowed until this summer, but has been lowered to 10A for fire safety reasons.