Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit even if I sell my MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery in April earlier this year and am thinking of getting rid of my MS. Question I have is would I still receive the $7500 tax credit for 2014 even if I decide to sell my MS before the end of the year? I tried doing a search with no luck.

Took delivery in April earlier this year and am thinking of getting rid of my MS. Question I have is would I still receive the $7500 tax credit for 2014 even if I decide to sell my MS before the end of the year? I tried doing a search with no luck.

Yes. You bought the car in good faith. You didn't buy the car for resale.

Plug-In Electric Drive Vehicle Credit (IRC 30D)

26 U.S. Code § 30D - New qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicles | LII / Legal Information Institute

There is no mention of time limits, only not purchasing for resale.

I do believe so. You have had the car over 6 months. It is the less than 3 months that causes most concerns. Also I think k you are limited to a rebate a year on the federal.

There is no limit on number of rebates. In fact, the form has space for two cars and says ...

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8936.pdf

The Man said:
Use a separate column for each vehicle. If you need more columns,
use additional Forms 8936 and include the totals on lines 12 and 19.

It's a tax credit, not a rebate. No limit that I know of on quantity, but the only other thing I can think of is that you'd have to have at least $15,000 in Federal tax liability to get the full $7,500 on each car if you did two in one year...

You can sell it immediately.. no problem. Only the first owner can take the tax credit. No time issues. (In fact: some scheming folks have tried purchasing and registering other EV's and then reselling, knowing full well they will get the tax credit)

You can get the Federal credit as others have noted.

If you applied or will apply for the CA EV rebate, you will be rejected or have to repay as that program requires 36 months of consecutive ownership.

Retain ownership of the vehicle in California for a minimum of 36 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase or lease date (only rental and car share vehicles are eligible for a reduced ownership provision if retained in California for a minimum of twelve consecutive months but less than 36 consecutive months).

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aqip/cvrp/fy1314_cvrp_implementation_manual_final.pdf