Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger in Binghamton, NY. -- need local advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla Supercharger Team is open to suggestions for SC in Binghamton. It would open the Finger Lakes, and all central NY.

Can someone suggest some possible spots at the junction of 17, 81, 88? Tesla will do the contact work with the business.

What are the criteria you are looking for? I know the area and should be able to help.

- - - Updated - - -

How about "The Spot Diner Restaurant" perhaps?

The Spot Diner Restaurant

It's between exits five and six off of Route 81, so travelers heading in either direction would just exit at one and get back on at the other. I don't travel 88 myself from 81, so I'm not sure about access to and from 88, but looking at the map it looks pretty doable. Route 17 is also very close.

If you prefer more of a national chain, there is a Cracker Barrel in roughly the same place.

Cracker Barrel Old Country Store

876 Front St
Binghamton, NY 13905

Last edited:
The Tesla Supercharger Team is open to suggestions for SC in Binghamton. It would open the Finger Lakes, and all central NY.

Can someone suggest some possible spots at the junction of 17, 81, 88? Tesla will do the contact work with the business.

We have traveled 81 extensively. We always took a break in this area during our ICE age. Just north of the junction on Route 11 there is a cluster of Applebees, Fairfield Inn and Cracker Barrel. Just to the south of that is the Cornell Cooperative Extension, they may have some interest.

@Andyw2100, jrreno. - thanks!

this is part if the Tesla SC Team response:

Thank you for your email and feedback. Our Site Developers are continually looking for locations that enable popular long distance routes and give our customers a great experience and upstate New York is included in our plans.

If you have specific property suggestions along route 17 or Interstates 81, 86, and 88, please submit the information directly to our Developer Team here*. We use precise energy modeling to determine areas that are candidates for Superchargers and will reach out to you or the property owner via email if the site fits well with our route plan.

*here is a link to https://tesla factory.wufoo.com/forms/supercharging

There is a HPWC for " guests only" at a Doubletree in Binghamton but a SC would really be useful. Which of those places mentioned do you think it would be best? I know Cornell pretty well, so I will investigate the Cooperative Extension as a possible location and see if the Spot Diner is interested.

Thanks, lets try to make it happen.

That's great!

If The Spot Diner and Cornell Cooperative Extension are less than cooperative, I'd suggest the Supercharger team look at other businesses along that same stretch of Route 11 / Front Street, between exits 5 and 6 off of Route 81. I think that's really a perfect location, and there are plenty of businesses there. I suggested the diner and the Cracker Barrel because of the long hours they are open and because it would give those charging the ability to get a quick and relatively inexpensive bite to eat. Since the team didn't seem interested in Cracker Barrel, I'm inferring that they stay away from national chains. Is that correct? I ask because I can try to come up with some additional possibilities later, but want to know if I should be avoiding all national chains.

Thanks.

I highlighted some malls and groups of restaurants but yeah the closer we can get to the green circle the better. Like that cracker barrel area right above it maybe.

binghamton2.jpg

Another non-national possibility between exits 5 and 6 would be:

Grande Pizzeria Italian Restaurant

1250 Front St
Binghamton, NY 13901

One benefit of that location (over, say, one of the circled locations along route 17) is that the Route 81 between Exits 5 and 6 locations are also closer for anyone coming from Route 88.

Naturally anything in Binghamton will be fantastic!

(LMB spouse)

I was always surprised that Binghamton wasn't on Tesla's radar. It opens travel on I-81, provides an alternate route from NYC to the lakes region, and allows travel to Ithaca/Cornell from the Boston/NE via Albany. Seems like a no brainer.