Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upstate NY - Binghamton Tesla Owners - HELP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla Supercharger Team is open to suggestions for SC in Binghamton. It would open the Finger Lakes, and all central NY.

Can someone suggest some possible spots at the junction of 17, 81, 88? Tesla will do the contact work with the business.

Binghamton is a KEY spot, I've been dying for them to put one there!! Right now from South Jersey I have to go through albany instead of the direct route. Binghamton would shorten by trip by like 2 hours. Awesome!

- - - Updated - - -

binghamton2.jpg

the green circle is the major crossroad connecting north/south east/west. the closest to that would be ideal. I've been through there a few times so I don't know the area really well, but around that green circle might be more industrial businesses. The red circles are malls/groups of restaurants. I would think anywhere on that map where there is groups of restaurants might be decent. Another potential spot might be where that cracker barrel is above the green circle. I wouldn't know for sure. Either Tesla needs to scout the area or someone with Binghamton knowledge needs to chime in.

excellent. I started a similar thread in ModelS/ Battery and Charging forum, and have gotten some idea ps for the Green Circle area, including the Cracker Barrel, the Spot Diner and the Cornell Cooperative extension office. I will reach out to these last two today to see if there is interest and connect them with Tesla. Send your map to that thread, it's helpful.

I would suggest a Binghamton Supercharger at/near the Starbucks on Front Street, just across the Street from Broome Community College. There is also a PIZZA place, and a COLDSTONE nest to the Starbucks. The Starbucks is just off I-81, as well as I-86. Here is a link to GoogleMaps:

Google Maps

Looking forward to getting a Supercharger in Binghamton!!

Eric

I can't help but to think the SC should be further West, closer to Elmira, Corning or even Hornell. This would be far more conducive for the tourism/wine/NASCAR/ and even the multitudes coming to the region for the Mark Twain attractions. People come to the region for tourism, but certainly not necessarily via Binghamton!

No doubt there are more than one good choice of location. With a SC in Albany, and one coming soon to Buffalo (Clarence, NY), Binghamton seems a natural next step to open the area from the south, NY, and NJ for access to the Finger Lakes, Syracuse and west toward Corning, all of which would be in easy range and highway accessible.

i think T goes first where there is multi-road access, population and access to "the next" SC within range.

Yep and they logically follow the major interstate intersections, which makes me think Erie, Binghamton and Hornell (or Bath/Hammondsport) will round out Buffalo, Syracuse, Albany and Ithaca for all of NY State's Supercharging needs. Just like PA needs one in State College and Carlisle, to cover its remaining interstate interchanges.

What NY really needs to drive volume, however, is a Service Center/Gallery somewhere Upstate, like Rochester or Syracuse (Destiny Mall?). Owners in Rochester are currently serviced out of Columbus, which is insane. And lack of a local service center really stifles sales, I think. Cleveland opening soon will help a little, but not much.

Eastview Mall right next to I90 just south of Rochester would be a great location for a store and a service center. Currently there is an Apple Store in the mall, They could move in across the mall just like the stores in the new UTC mall in Sarasota :) It would also be a good place for a Supercharger since it is very close to the Thruway.
I have to admit I'm a little nervous when visiting my daughter East of Rochester. If anything required real service its a long way to Columbus!

There will be NO upstate gallery/SC.
Turns out the Governor and Legislature passed a bill in June limiting Tesla to its current 5 galleries/SC. The links are to the press release and a Crain's article; google NY-Tesla-legislation for more.

Governor Cuomo Signs Legislation on Agreement Between Automobile Dealers and Tesla Motors | Governor Andrew M. Cuomo
Bill to run Tesla off road is amended | Crain's New York Business

Its the same anti-consumer, anti-Tesla law passed in other states that is pushed through by Dealers wanting to protect their status as middleman, under the guise of consumer protection. The threat of the Tesla model of sales and distribution is very real to the Dealers.

As they say, write your Legislator..

That is a bummer. Do they really already have five in NY? I guess I wasn't counting or remembering Mt. Kisco.

I do find the second sentence of this press release quote very interesting:

"The agreement, announced in March by Tesla Motors, the New York State Automobile Dealers Association and the Greater New York Automobile Dealers Association, allows Tesla Motors to maintain their five currently licensed retail locations in New York State. Additional Tesla retail locations will be established under a strengthened dealer franchise law."

Definitely does not rule out future Tesla galleries, but does raise questions about how those will be structured.

Calling out NYS Assemblyman David Buchwald (D-White Plains), who was instrumental in negotiating the preservation of the current 5 Tesla galleries/SC in New York. The original legislation promoted by the dealers associations was geared to eliminate all these, and make NY like NJ, MI, TX , CT and others.
We had a nice chat today -good job Assemblyman.

Calling out NYS Assemblyman David Buchwald (D-White Plains), who was instrumental in negotiating the preservation of the current 5 Tesla galleries/SC in New York. The original legislation promoted by the dealers associations was geared to eliminate all these, and make NY like NJ, MI, TX , CT and others.
We had a nice chat today -good job Assemblyman.

we need a Service center in Syracuse. The mt.kisco location is too far

we need a Service center in Syracuse. The mt.kisco location is too far

Not happening anytime soon (although Central NY is a no brainer IMO). I was told by a little birdie that if Tesla gets a chance to open another facility, it would probably be in Buffalo.

Destiny mall has some space, I'm wondering what it would take to get at least a gallery in there.

I do not believe that bill limits the service centers. I am curious if they could have 5 dealerships open at a time? Could they have ten dealerships open for business by limiting the hours of each one so only 5 open on a day?

it is getting to a point when they will need more dealerships with model 3 not so far off. If they were to mount a legal challenge they will need to do so in the next year

I do not believe that bill limits the service centers. I am curious if they could have 5 dealerships open at a time? Could they have ten dealerships open for business by limiting the hours of each one so only 5 open on a day?

it is getting to a point when they will need more dealerships with model 3 not so far off. If they were to mount a legal challenge they will need to do so in the next year

I am fairly certain that the legislative compromise at the time was 5 galleries and/or SCs. The dealers lobby was too strong, just as they were in MI, CT, NJ, and TX among others. Agree that both central and western NY would be good candidate locations. SUpercharger locations are driven by traffic projection and linking to the growing charger network; I wonder if additional galleries/SC were possible , if they would be driven by population density, demographic of income and trends to purchase high end vehicles, or just geography. With the 3 coming in 2017, more galleries and SC will be required.

I am fairly certain that the legislative compromise at the time was 5 galleries and/or SCs. The dealers lobby was too strong, just as they were in MI, CT, NJ, and TX among others. Agree that both central and western NY would be good candidate locations. SUpercharger locations are driven by traffic projection and linking to the growing charger network; I wonder if additional galleries/SC were possible , if they would be driven by population density, demographic of income and trends to purchase high end vehicles, or just geography. With the 3 coming in 2017, more galleries and SC will be required.

Looks like the following thread and article about a new showroom and service center opening in Brooklyn bode well for the future!

Inside Tesla's Red Hook NYC Showroom

We got a look inside Tesla's first sales and service center in Brooklyn, New York