Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative Braking Problematic For Other Drivers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
It would surprise me if this hasn't been discussed before, but I did some searches, and wasn't able to find anything. So I apologize if this has been asked about frequently.

I've never driven a Tesla, but it sounds like the regenerative braking can really slow the car down without actually using the brakes. So if we're cruising down the highway at, say, 65, and cars are stopping in front of us, and we begin to stop by letting up on the accelerator (or whatever the "gas" pedal is called), is this a potential problem for the vehicle behind us who isn't going to see our brake lights because we are slowing down without actually applying the brakes?

Thanks!

It would surprise me if this hasn't been discussed before, but I did some searches, and wasn't able to find anything. So I apologize if this has been asked about frequently.

I've never driven a Tesla, but it sounds like the regenerative braking can really slow the car down without actually using the brakes. So if we're cruising down the highway at, say, 65, and cars are stopping in front of us, and we begin to stop by letting up on the accelerator (or whatever the "gas" pedal is called), is this a potential problem for the vehicle behind us who isn't going to see our brake lights because we are slowing down without actually applying the brakes?

Thanks!

No, not a problem because the Model S automatically turns on its brake lights when it senses deceleration.

You can see how it works by watching the camera at night. It's actually a good system because it doesn't light up for just a bit of slowing, only when there is enough slowing force do the brake lights show.

Thanks very much, everyone. I feel better now.

I actually have a P85D ordered, even though I have not had a test drive. I live pretty far from any dealerships. I do have a test drive scheduled for next month, when I'm going to be near a gallery location. I'm pretty sure that will take place before my car is delivered.

Thanks for the info.I knew there had to be a logical answer!

Thanks very much, everyone. I feel better now.

I actually have a P85D ordered, even though I have not had a test drive. I live pretty far from any dealerships. I do have a test drive scheduled for next month, when I'm going to be near a gallery location. I'm pretty sure that will take place before my car is delivered.

Thanks for the info.I knew there had to be a logical answer!

You're going to want to watch the use of the term 'dealership'. Tesla doesn't have ANY dealerships, franchised or otherwise. All the galleries and stores are owned by Tesla Motors. It's the source of a fairly large battle right now:

Free Markets? Tesla Battles Car Dealers Over Right To Sell Cars - Forbes

Last edited:
You're going to want to watch the use of the term 'dealership'. Tesla doesn't have ANY dealerships, franchised or otherwise. All the galleries and stores are owned by Tesla Motors. It's the source of a fairly large battle right now:

Free Markets? Tesla Battles Car Dealers Over Right To Sell Cars - Forbes

Yes, thank you.

I was posting quickly, and should have been more careful with my words. I am aware of the fact that the Tesla stores are owned by Tesla, and that the Gallery location where I will be seeing the car in NJ can't sell cars at all. I should have used the word "stores" or "showrooms" instead.

I was posting quickly, and should have been more careful with my words. I am aware of the fact that the Tesla stores are owned by Tesla, and that the Gallery location where I will be seeing the car in NJ can't sell cars at all. I should have used the word "stores" or "showrooms" instead.

No worries, we know what you meant. Most of us are just so happy with the non-dealer experience (and so frustrated with the protectionist shenanigans of dealer lobbyists) that we cringe at the word.
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new purchase :)

You can see how it works by watching the camera at night. It's actually a good system because it doesn't light up for just a bit of slowing, only when there is enough slowing force do the brake lights show.

Another way to see brake lights triggered on certain level of regen is to put a charging screen up on the center display - it shows picture of the car with the brake light strip at the top of rear glass. The strip shown on the screen is used as an indicator and lights up indicating when the brake lights are on.

After driving the Model S for a while you'll never want to go back to the "old way" of using brakes. I LOVE the single pedal driving and generally only use the brake at stop lights/signs.

I drove an ICE for the first time since getting my S85 in April...it felt weird. Having to press on the brake so often, and not automatically slowing down when releasing the accelerator just seemed unnatural. It has made me remember to appreciate the single pedal driving. Like you, I'm use to touching the brake pedal only at stop signs or lights, and generally going less than 5 km/hr. If I am going faster than that, I know I should have regen'd sooner.

........... and not automatically slowing down when releasing the accelerator just seemed unnatural. It has made me remember to appreciate the single pedal driving. Like you, I'm use to touching the brake pedal only at stop signs or lights, and generally going less than 5 km/hr. If I am going faster than that, I know I should have regen'd sooner.

Ditto. Almost rear-ended another car because I was slow to get on the brakes of my ICE.

Tesla's regen has made me a horribly inefficient ICE driver :/. I can't judge coasting our lexus at all anymore and am now a much heavier beaker...

I agree I was driving my wife's car and thought the car would come to a stop using regenerative braking but did not realize until I came too close to the stop sign ....luckily there was no other car in the vicinity...