Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where does Tesla Stand with Aftermarket Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried searching, but couldnt find anything definitive.

Where does TM stand regarding this issue?

I have a hybrid, and my particular model, the manufacturer will void warranty due to weight issues draining on the battery. At least thats what I have been told.

What about TM?

I'm planning on 20" or 21" Vossens.

I have a hybrid, and my particular model, the manufacturer will void warranty due to weight issues draining on the battery. At least thats what I have been told.

that sounds 'odd'

I have 3 sets of 19"s and the factory 21"s. (if anyone wants the grey 21"s they are/will be for sale)

all of the 19"s are much lighter than stock. I think It'd be hard to find a heavier wheel than the 21" Tesla turbine?
no probs regarding warranty. I have heard of someone warping rotors maybe due to undertorqued lugs on aftermarket wheels, this seemed strange too.(I think Tesla wouldn't cover the bent rotors)

all of the 19"s are much lighter than stock. I think It'd be hard to find a heavier wheel than the 21" Tesla turbine?

Try lifting the Tesla Aero wheel.

- - - Updated - - -

yes i have an INFINITI M HYBRID, and I wanted the 19" sport wheels, and thats what he told me.

I'd call the factory as my BS meter just went "tilt".

Last edited:
yes i have an INFINITI M HYBRID, and I wanted the 19" sport wheels, and thats what he told me.

That's got to be some of the most ridiculous made up BS , though BS like that is typical from your average dealership. So no worries, that dude was just filling you with an avalanche of crap spewing from his mouth. It's very illegal for a manufacturer to void your warranty for swapping wheels.

As long as you stay within the factory spec on the wheels, then its not so bad, I have seen some 285's on rear wheels that have been extremely light, however the rub. The downside, is if you start to complain of brake squeak, that is 100% on you to replace and is not covered under warranty if you have an aftermarket rim.

Its becoming a greater issue recently with more and more aftermarket rims showing up, but as of a few months ago, if you saw a car with aftermarket rims, and the owner was complaining of brake squeak, then Tesla wouldn't allow the rotors to be replaced under warranty. Due to some factors I could see some service centers not keeping to this though.