Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic windows-up (or down) "feature request", possibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I'm not a Tesla owner, so for all I know this feature is already available, but I haven't seen it. It would entail automatically rolling the windows up or down in certain circumstances, when the vehicle is parked with no one in the driver's seat. The first version (up) might seem a bit trivial or silly, but the second (down a bit) could be a life-saver. Let me know what you think:

Case 1: If the car is exposed to precipitation, automatically roll the windows up. It's happened to us all: we leave one or more windows open a crack (or a lot) overnight or even just momentarily, only to have it rain before we can or do get back to the car -- requiring us to dry up the inside of the door(s), hoping that no upholstery or electronics were damaged in the interim. If the car could sense this condition (rain/snow + no one in the car) and roll the windows up, it might save a small percent of its owners some angst at least a handful of times during their ownership experience. And if it's not that expensive to implement, it might also be worth it for the premium-feature "press".

Case #2: And a bit more serious... automatically roll the windows down a bit if there is a body -- pet or child -- in the car and the temperature rises above a certain threshold. Too often we hear about pets and less frequently (but even more "too often"!) we hear about young children dying in cars that got too hot inside on a summer day. All or most of these deaths could be prevented if such "awareness" were built into the car. And surely we are -- and Tesla especially, is -- at the point where this kind of awareness is not be that difficult or expensive to implement.

+1. Agree with this feature request. Not sure if the MS has the ability to sense motion inside the car though.

Also, how about control of the windows from the mobile app? You can already open and close the pano roof, so why not the windows?

I think it would be better if there was an optional mobile app feature that would alert you if the temperature is above some threshold and it thinks there may still be a person in the car after some small time threshold of driver leaving the car. I don't think you want to try to save a life left in the car so much as to try to prevent the life being left there in the first place. Plus, any false positives causing windows to roll down would see a ton of negative criticism.