Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sounds like our old frunk organizer might not fit in our new P85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just read the motortrends article about the P85D today. They made mention of the slightly reduced frunk space. I was fearing that the "microwave box" might have gone away with the new motor. They didn't show pictures of it, but it certainly sounds like it is more shallow which would likely mean the custom fit Tesla organizer box that previously went into that spot will likely stick out now. That's a shame although I won't gripe too much about it. :)

Anyone get more concrete details yet?

If it ends up not being a good fit, I'll likely offer it up for sale to someone on here.

Yes, the "microwave" is gone. That space was reduced a bit from very early cars when the DC-DC converter was relocated to that space from inside one of the wheel wells behind the liner. As a result, there were two versions of that frunk box. If you do advertise, please post the dimensions.

I thought they did show a picture. This one?

2015-tesla-model-s-p85d-frunk.jpg

Is it really a lot more or just the 'microwave'? It seems not significant or is it?

Yeah, it looks like it extends out maybe 6 inches or more beyond the microwave. Hard to say exactly, but looks like multiple cubic feet are lost in a addition to the space lost from the microwave.

- - - Updated - - -

From the specs (http://www.teslamotors.com/models/specs), the frunk is only 5.3 cubic feet. Is that with or without the D? Seems like 5.3 is much smaller than my frunk, but perhaps I'm just not very good at estimating this.

Well, it looks like the Frunk on the P85D is the solution to a map pocket everyone wanted.. thats about all you will fit in there now, kind of pointless with that limited space. Then again, I try not to use mine because the front hood is so flimsy I don't want it to bend.

Well, it looks like the Frunk on the P85D is the solution to a map pocket everyone wanted.. thats about all you will fit in there now, kind of pointless with that limited space. Then again, I try not to use mine because the front hood is so flimsy I don't want it to bend.

Really? There is tons of space in there, can probably fit a months worth of groceries in that thing

Really? There is tons of space in there, can probably fit a months worth of groceries in that thing

A months worth of groceries for my family of 4 barely fits in our trunk, in the frunk area I could probably fit enough groceries for me for 4-5 days, I am kind of a big eater lol

I honestly don't think the size difference is that big of a thing in the P85D. I would gladly trade my extra frunk space in my P85 for another electric motor and pay $4K for a retrofit! Come on Elon! Make it happen !! :biggrin:

Great eye! Looking at them side-by-side, I've also noticed that perhaps the D version's frunk has more vertical depth? The "shoulders" (if you will), seem to be steeper on the D version and the back wall also seems to be taller. (Forgive the MS-Paint job)
View attachment 63254

I noted on the photos from the D unveiling that the front double-octagonal intrusion beams were now rectangular in crosssection.

The front drive half shafts have to punch through those intrusion beams. That, coupled with a smaller crumple zone due to the presence of the front motor, means Tesla had to beef them up.