Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just about to place my order ... I'm so excited but is this the right spec?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

After spending hours pouring over the Tesla website and watching every available online video I'm about to place my order for a Tesla Model S .....

I'm leasing the car over 5 years (yes I know it's a long time!) doing around 15k miles pa ...

My spec is simple and the reasons behind the options mentioned below ... is there anything else I should be aware of?

Tesla Model S 85kWh (Would like the "D" but want to keep costs down and don't want to wait until the end of next year! - the "P" is out of budget)
Black (I didn't really consider any other colour - I love shiny black cars!)
Pano glass roof (essential so I can add a roof rack for my bikes)
Tech Pack (essential)
Twin Chargers (for quicker on the road charging even though most charging will be done at home)
Leather Seats (I like the standard seats but found out the part "leather" is not leather, it's some form of vinyl? Will the leather seats still look ok after 3/4/5 years?)
19" Cyclone wheels (I really like the look of the 21" wheels but scared I'm going to damage them every month on the roads in the UK!)

Am I missing anything essential?

Roy

Leather Seats (I like the standard seats but found out the part "leather" is not leather, it's some form of vinyl? Will the leather seats still look ok after 3/4/5 years?)
Leather's longevity over long periods of time has a lot to do with how you condition it.

The leather in my >6 year old Porsche looks essentially as good as new -- but it was professionally detailed at year 3 (okay job), and again by me at year 5 (excellent job).

I forget which leather shampoo I used, but this conditioner was excellent:
Amazon.com : REUSCH 7990 MANCHESTER LEATHER FOOD - Clear : Sports Outdoors

Am I missing anything essential?

Only you can judge that. There's a reason why all of the options are there and cost money -- they are all improvements, but no one other than you can figure out if the cost is worth the benefit for your needs.

Looks good to me.

Comments:

- If you're a gambling man, you could skip the twin chargers and hope that the CHAdeMO adapter will be out by the time you get the car (given that almost all the places in the UK where you can take advantage of twin chargers there is CHAdeMO available too). However, I'm glad I went for the safe option and got the twin chargers given the amount of delay so far.

- I don't regret getting the standard seats (I'm not keen on leather, so chose them on preference rather than cost). Obviously I can't speak for their 5 year life, but looking good so far...

- Not critcial at time of ordering, but before delivery you will want to consider whether you want to buy any charging equipment from Tesla - see here for some discussion. There's also other stuff that Tesla sell, like the tyre inflation kit (compressor and sealant gunk for patching punctures - there's no spare wheel) - if you are not close to the service centre, it's tiresome to go back later to get this kind of stuff, and there doesn't seem to be a list of available items, you need to know to ask for it.

- You may want to consider winter tyres/wheels. Not so essential since you've gone for the 19" as they would be with 21" (that come with summer-only tyres), but some people consider them invaluable.

don't skip the twin chargers! they only need to get you out of jam a few times, even down the road a year or two, before you realize they are worth every penny!

if I were ordering all over again, I would think seriously about getting the D! no, actually, I'd think about it for a few seconds and definitely get the D, all wheel drive is awesome. that said, the rear wheel drive S is uber stable as it is.

If you're trying to save money you might want to order the standard wheels and then look at aftermarket for nicer wheels. The T Sportline wheels look almost exactly the same as the Tesla wheels but will only run you $400 a wheel. The standard wheels sell for $300 a wheel. So if you sold them for $250 a wheel you'd be able to get the fancier wheels for $600 versus the $2500 Tesla charges for their upgraded wheels.

Given the cost and range, I'd do D instead of twin chargers. Twin chargers are good if you can find one or you need it at home. Given the $450 for the Chademo and the fact that in the US, there are probably 10 times more Chademo than high amp 1772s. I think the actual numbers are 1000 Chademo and 100 high amp J1772s and those are at hotels where you would be fine with a single charger.

Knaresborough - England? Changes things I guess but...

as you're on a budget, I'd cut the cyclone wheels.

the essentials:
1) tech package
2) pano roof

that is it. every other option is not really essential and value isnt that great. leather vs standard is your personal preference.

twin chargers is YMMV. I have them, and I've used a HPWC once in 58k miles in Binghamton NY. My home HPWC is still sitting in it's original packaging. I use a NEMA 14-50 at home and thats been all I needed. And even considering my high mileage driving, that NEMA 14-50 is still way more than enough.

so dump the cyclones (and go with aftermarket TSportline 19" TST's if you want the factory turbine look while staying 19").

I'd get the upgraded stereo. Makes a big difference and is expensive to add later... Leather is great but at least in the US, dual chargers are more of future proofing than needed today. Depends on how long you'll keep the car.

That said, the D is great if many in your area buy 4WD vehicles. Could save money on stock wheels, upgrade to what you want later with little penalty.

But everyone's taste is different.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the info guys - if I wasn't confused before I am now!

My preference would be for the "D" but I cannot wait another 11-12 months for it to arrive in the UK so I'll have to go with the S85 ...which should arrive in Feb/March! :)
You've confirmed my suspicions on the 21" wheels - they look so nice but are not practical for me ... aftermarket is not an option either with it being a leased car (apparently they don't like me changing wheels!)
I think I'm happy with all the other options so off to order it now!

If anyone has one in Yorkshire it would be good to meet for a coffee sometime so I could have a look!

Thanks

Roy