Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tall People Downsloping Roofline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kandiru

Oct 20, 2014
USA
Listings
6'4", swung by garage to see some colors and ended up test driving a Model S85 with radar yesterday at Easton, OH. Loved every bit, I suspect radar participates in regen braking as I only had to touch brake at very end. Almost hit a car accelerating, this car is like a go-cart on hovercraft suspension. I only heard the motor while going up on a ramp. Insane acceleration.

11yo future 6'8" daughter enjoying her first unhook of many to come, I hope she will never even get to know how an ICE feels like to drive:
20141103_145902.jpg

I hit my head twice into roof liner before I understood how sensitive the brakes are at parking lot speeds. Roof liner takes an abrupt downward slope above windshield and makes the view similar to what I would see out of my B8 Audi S4 with sunvisor down. Yes, I did have the seat all the way down with lumbar support deflated.

Car was without pano, and there was plenty of headroom with my head on headrest, but could not bend forward. Telescoping the steering wheel out and moving back helped a lot.

Any tall owners bothered a lot by this?

Otherwise I am 100% sold on the car, can't wait to take wife and all 3 kids for the second test drive in December.

Last edited:
I have the pano roof, am 6'6", and never hit my head on the headliner. I've done some track driving as well, with high G turning and braking.

So, yeah, definitely get the pano roof!

As for visibility out the front window, I removed my sunvisor. That got me an inch of extra visibility. Makes it easier to see traffic lights when stopped at the front of an intersection.

Oh, and I came to Tesla from a B8 S4 as well. You're going to love the Model S!

I hit my head twice into roof liner before I understood how sensitive the brakes are at parking lot speeds.

I'm finding that the 'Creep' setting requires more firm brake application, at these speeds, and can result in the "grippy" stops. That said, I find the Volt's brakes easier to modulate. Brake pad composites are known to have a different initial "bite". The Tesla's have to do more, but it is at these speeds where I think we realize better performance.

6' with no issues, even on either side of the back seat, no pano.

6'9", had 2 P85s,

Both had pano roof, neither had issues. However, I don't know if it's just me, but my older p85 (p01966) definitely felt like it had a lower seat, meaning that there was a bit more headroom.

Teslas have always felt very closed in due to the low, forward roof and heavy roof pillars. The design makes it difficult to see traffic lights. Also, the Roadster seat and the new S seat push one's shoulders forward into a concave position. Both Porsches (911's) and Toyotas (4Runners, Echos, etc.), to name a couple, have very open cockpits with open seats. I mentioned this to Franz at the design center in Hawthorne before the design of the S was completed but apparently I didn't spend enough time to influence the design significantly.