Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75% Insurance Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's worrisome. We are with Geico and just reached one year of ownership. I wonder if we're all going to see a rate hike due to exorbitant body repair costs and the frequency with which damaged cars are declared to be totaled.

----a few minutes later----

Wife handles car insurance. I just checked and our coverage renewed a few weeks ago with no rate increase.

That's worrisome. We are with Geico and just reached one year of ownership. I wonder if we're all going to see a rate hike due to exorbitant body repair costs and the frequency with which damaged cars are declared to be totaled.

----a few minutes later----

Wife handles car insurance. I just checked and our coverage renewed a few weeks ago with no rate increase.

My renewal is for the exact date of my 2 year mark (12/4). The CSR told me that it was due to "the car" and "end of the new car discount".

"New car discount"?????? Has anyone ever heard of that from an insurance company before?

Mr. 75%er: how many vehicles are on your policy, and is that 75% number for all or just for the Model S?

this is not surprising given the price gouging at the certified repair shops and tesla's refusal to sell parts to non-certified shops. i've been saying for a long time that if this [price gouging/refusal to sell parts] continues, nobody is going to buy a Tesla because the insurance rates will be unaffordable. this was only a matter of time.

Tesla needs to get a handle of the price gouging by their certified body shops. If not no one will buy these cars used due to the high cost of insurance which will cause the vehicles to depreciate very quickly not helping Tesla or their customers. It should not cost more to fix than a comparable Mercedes.

Hold on folks... Tesla insurance should be dropping.

Tesla has awesome safety and there are hardly any serious injuries to treat. Medical care is far more expensive than car repair, and consequently Tesla cars ought to be costing insurance companies a lot less than other brands.

Tesla has awesome safety and there are hardly any serious injuries to treat. Medical care is far more expensive than car repair, and consequently Tesla cars ought to be costing insurance companies a lot less than other brands.

Car insurance is always itemized. I know comparing coverage on my Jeep to my 911, you can make some judgements:

On the Jeep, the most expensive thing is Bodily Injury Liability (to others) at 27% of the cost of the policy. Collision (cost of repair of MY vehicle) is 15% of the cost. Medical and PIP combined are 16%.

On my Porsche, the Bodily Injury Liability (to others) is slightly more expensive than on the Jeep, however the other line items are much higher. BI Liability (to others) is 20% of the total cost. Collision (cost of repair of MY vehicle) is 33%. The Medical and PIP are $2 per year cheaper than on the Jeep (safer car), but the total cost was low in the first place.

Obviously the cost of repairing a crashed Porsche is much higher than a Jeep. Based on what others are saying here about repair costs because of authorized body shops, repair cost may be even higher on a Tesla.

Also keep in mind for property damage liability ... a 4800 LB Tesla has potential to do a heck of a lot more damage than a luxury ICE car that weighs 500 lbs less.

Something doesn't sound right...

I have Encompass w/ agreed value, which is a policy for high end cars. $500 deductible, 250/500 coverage w/ glass and I pay $1,098 per year. And if the car gets totaled, I am reimbursed the agreed value (purchase price), not the depreciated value. I guess I must be getting quite the deal, eh?

Something doesn't sound right...

I have Encompass w/ agreed value, which is a policy for high end cars. $500 deductible, 250/500 coverage w/ glass and I pay $1,098 per year. And if the car gets totaled, I am reimbursed the agreed value (purchase price), not the depreciated value. I guess I must be getting quite the deal, eh?

You are right... I called Encompass and they don't provide agreed value in the State of Texas...I did find Safeco and other relatively low profile insurance companies and they provide agreed value for $1500 per year which is $300-400 more than what Geico is costing me and the catch is they do agreed value for only 1-2 yrs the max.

Yes but the price gouging and exorbitant repair rates by Tesla shops seem to more than make up for the fewer injuries. I've read a bunch of stories on the forum and hope our Tesla is never damaged in an accident in any way as it seems the few Tesla certified shops know they have a monopoly and jack up their prices. If this continues it is only a matter of time until the insurance rates go up.

Does Tesla still only sell parts to Tesla authorized body shops? This is part of the problem.