Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your favorite trip planning app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

THanks in advance for your answers. I am searching for a great Tesla trip planning app. I've tried a couple but haven't found a super user friendly one yet. My husband is suffering from range anxiety, the tesla is really mine, and I need to find a great app so he won't make me travel in his '90 MBZ 500 with a burned out turbo for out of town trips.

Thanks!

stacie
'14 Pearl 85, tech pkg,stereo, winter pkg, obeche wood.

I have not ready found one other than Google Maps determining driving distance point to point to be necessary. The Nav function in the car has been enough for all of my traveling and road trips thus far. Getting rid of the anxiety is just a factor of using the car more and knowing and understanding what it can do.

Plugshare is great for charging alternatives in areas without superchargers. In San Diego, I have used Blink networks/appon occasion. I find a chargepoin card and app helpful also.

Last edited:
I have used evtripplanner.com to plan my trips from Sacramento to Seattle and it works well. You can adjust the variables to account for your driving style. Range anxiety will go away once you get more trips under your belt. In the meantime the Evtripplanner works great.

tekhead introduced my favorite.
evtripplanner.com is very Tesla-aware, considers elevation changes and even takes recharging stops at SuperChargers into account.

Aside from that, I have my own GoogleDoc spreadsheet that I use to plot stops and charges. I use lookup functions to find mileage and elevation changes between stops, allows input for speed, road conditions along the way, and gives estimates on charge times and drive times. It has been very accurate on my two road trips to Monterey and back from Portland, OR. Send me a private message if you want the link to it.

Evtripplanner.com is the only one you need. Only one that factors in weather, terrain etc into your route. And you can select which version of the S you have. As well as factor in speed. Tesla needs to integrate this into car.
Google maps is terrible for an EV. Only tells you distance and that does you no good. For example in California, between tejon ranch supercharger and Harris ranch, mileage is 99 miles, yet when you factor in traffic speed, you will use 155-160 miles of range. EV tripplanner.com has it correct. If you charged up according to google you woudl end up well short.

For example in California, between tejon ranch supercharger and Harris ranch, mileage is 99 miles, yet when you factor in traffic speed, you will use 155-160 miles of range. EV tripplanner.com has it correct. If you charged up according to google you woudl end up well short.

It is 118 miles and yes if you go with the traffic, meaning 75 to 80, of course you will use at least 150 miles of rated range.

EVTripPlanner is great for detailed, very-precise estimates of rated miles needed for trip. It includes all the elevation, road speed data, etc into its calcs.

If you just want to do a quick, reasonably accurate estimate of "will I get there", remember that for most driving, it is net elevation to your destination that matters. You can correct the rated miles in your battery by the difference in altitude between where you are and the destination with the factor of 6 rated miles per 1,000 feet.

To do that, Supercharger.Info has the elevation of all the Superchargers; to get that info, click on the Supercharger dot, then click on "details". To get your current elevation, there are a number of smart phone Apps that will give you that info. I use "My Altitude" on an iPhone. Just give it several seconds to estimate a good altitude if you have not been using it for a while or have not been using another GPS app like "Google Maps."

For example, Boulder is at about 5,280 feet. The Silverthorne Supercharger is at 8,760 feet. Silverthorne is 3,480 feet higher or about 21 rated miles of potential energy higher than Boulder. If I leave from Boulder going to Silverthorne, I subtract 21 rated miles from the displayed rated miles in the car to look at how much energy I have to cover the distance; if I drive from Silverthorne to Boulder, I add the 21 rated mile.. From Google Maps, it's about 78 road miles between Boulder and Silverthorne. Because there is a mix of fast highway driving and slower roads and winds, I will want at least 100 rated miles to cover that distance and 125 would be safer if it's getting colder. Therefore to go from Boulder to Silverthorne, I want at least 121 to 146 rated miles to go up the hill to Silverthorne, but only need 79-104 rated miles to come back down the hill.

In the order that I use them when trip planning for an unfamiliar route:

1. Google maps fine tunes the route, so I go there first (and return to it several times).
2. PlugShare shows the private HPWCs and Superchargers (except for ones that opened in a past few days, so check your Nav screen).
3. RV park (rvparking.com) shows the RV parks to fill in the blanks.
4. EVTripPlanner is the last one I use to confirm how much energy it will take so that enough of a buffer can be created between charge stops.

My favorites, in order:

1. A Better Route Planner (A Better Routeplanner) - only one that's usable on the in-car browser.
2. EVTripPlanner.com
3. Built-in Tesla Nav does the job, but 1) might not give you the best route, and 2) charge 5-10% extra at superchargers, as it tends to sometimes underestimate how much charge you'll need.
Issue with browsers/web based apps is they won't work in the several places I go where cell coverage doesn't work. I need a planning app similar to the aviation ForeFlight that will work outside of wifi.