Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to do Donuts in a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my rear tires have about 2,000 or so miles left before its time to get them replaced (19" rims). I figured it would be nice to take them out with a few circular spins around an empty parking lot.

I know that in order to do donuts you need to pull the fuse for the ABS and disable the traction control on the main screen. But is there another way? Id like to keep power steering and brake assist (both which are lost if you pull the ABS fuse).

Here's the post I found with the how to, but there has to be another way: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/archive/index.php/t-23934.html

Last edited:
Not sure about the legality of disabling the ABS system. Keep in mind however, you may set off a series of diagnostic failures. Once the S "senses" things happening that shouldn't, the software may react to things you didn't anticipate, or create damage as a result. The S is not a mechanical ICE, with conventional transmission, drive shaft, etc. It may be some very expensive Donuts.

I tried a burnout in a parking lot with traction control off. Tires went up in smoke pretty fast! I have heard removing the fuse works and can't imagine it would cause any problems. I am not sure how durable the Model S drivetrain is but, as there is little driveline stress once the tires start smoking, I don't think you will harm it.

Maybe you should ask this guy!

You can defeat TC completely on any BMW
I don't see how this is illegal
I often did this during heavy snow drives, to keep car's momentum
Stability control takes the power away and limits the amount of wheel slip
Tesla should have ability to completely disable stability control on demand
It's a RWD car that needs to climb hills sometimes
At least where i live

As others have said, this is clearly not illegal. Many manufacturers allow you to completely defeat the stability/traction control systems. Some make the process complicated so it can't be engaged accidentally, but the process is right in the manual. In the US a vehicle must have these systems, and they must default to On, which perhaps is what he means? You can't turn it off and leave it off permanently?

For now, as you noted, you need to pull the fuse, which also disabled ABS, but will get you what you want.

I hated it so much when they replaced the handbrake in Audis with a little button, rear-biased AWD was so much fun on an icy/snowy parking lot until then, loved the part when all colors bled into pure white spinning, the Golf R though was the king of autobatics:cursing: