Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack balancing & J1772

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At home I use my old AV EVSE from my LEAF days. Even at only 30A I can almost always manage to fit my charging within my off-peak TOU rate plan window. I rarely use my UMC. My (probably) dumb question is, during a range charge using the AV EVSE, can the car balance the battery if it wants to, or do I need a a Tesla charger for that? I know this is handled by the battery management system in the car, but I wasn't sure if there was some special protocol necessary between the charger & EVSE to facilitate this.

At home I use my old AV EVSE from my LEAF days. Even at only 30A I can almost always manage to fit my charging within my off-peak TOU rate plan window. I rarely use my UMC. My (probably) dumb question is, during a range charge using the AV EVSE, can the car balance the battery if it wants to, or do I need a a Tesla charger for that? I know this is handled by the battery management system in the car, but I wasn't sure if there was some special protocol necessary between the charger & EVSE to facilitate this.

The Model S communicates using the J1772 protocols for all A/C charging, including with the UMC and HPWC - it just has a different connector geometry. That being the case, I don't see how there would be a problem with the balancing.
Walter