Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MotorTrend Reviews the P85D--Quickest 4-Door Sedan Ever Tested

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
0-60 in 3.1 and 11.6 in the 1/4 mile is awesome, but the trap speed of 115 MPH is disappointing.... only a 4 MPH increase over the P85 with all that extra power? this car should be trapping 120+ easily, Tesla is holding the car back.... it's competitors will walk right by the car at speed.... E63, RS7, M5, etc....

Great finish to a great review:
But the world's preeminent automotive showman also knows there's no better way to stir imaginations among Tesla fence-sitters—and churn up heartburn in Bavarians—than by conjuring a hulking, pacing alpha male version of the Model S like this. How will the psychological landscape among the One Percenter Mercedes-Benz AMG, Audi RS, and BMW M crowd be recast if, when a Tesla Model S P85D rolls up at a light, it's game over, guys? Brace yourself, Teutonic Status Quo, because the quickest-accelerating sedan in the world isn't German anymore. It's from California. As they say in Palo Alto: Auf Wiedersehen!

Read more: 2015 Tesla Model S P85D First Test - Motor Trend

Are the D frunk measurements available yet vs. standard?

There is a pretty good picture. It appears that the microwave is gone:

2015-tesla-model-s-p85d-frunk.jpg

Everything's better. During a chat with Musk at the P85D's introduction, he mentioned that on average, Tesla implements about 20 modifications to the car per week. Not software, mind you, but actual hard parts. Per week.

Wow just wow what a read!

Consequently, the easiest way to flatten your retinas at a dragstrip isn't by just stomping on the right pedal. Instead, you draw your foot back and kick the living hell out of it. (I'm serious.) Your foot's flying start at the pedal means the potentiometer opens the battery's electron floodgate that much sooner, and without the teeniest tire chirp, the P85D accelerates at the highest rate the road's mu (its coefficient of friction) allows. It's surreally efficient. And it's so fast off the line that the slower-sampling rate of our two high-frequency GPS data loggers was actually missing some of the action; within the first 1/20th of a sec (not even the "O" in "One Mississippi") the car was already going 0.7 mph. To 30 mph the P85D would be four feet ahead of the fastest-accelerating sedan we've tested, the Audi RS 7, a gap that holds to 60 when the Tesla punches the clock at 3.1 seconds, a tenth quicker than the Audi (as well as the McLaren F1's accepted time -- all of these after subtracting the customary 1-foot rollout). Both cars arrive at the quarter in 11.6 seconds, with the Audi starting to show its higher-speed chops. (The P85D tops out at 155, the RS 7, 174 mph.) Great for the Autobahn, irrelevant in America.

0-60 in 3.1 and 11.6 in the 1/4 mile is awesome, but the trap speed of 115 MPH is disappointing....

Had my P85 for 1.5 years and the fastest I've gone is 140km/h for a VERY short stint.. that alone is a $240 major infraction fine with significant insurance penalties. I can't even imagine 155 MPH! (250km/h). 250 would have my car taken away and I'd probably be uninsurable for some time.

So should this be updated to show 3.1 seconds for the Tesla Model S P85D? It currently shows 3.2.
List of fastest production cars by acceleration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Verified 0-60mph time for Tesla Motors P85D is almost a 1/2 second faster than a Ferrari Enzo.

I believe the automotive world is - currently - in a state of denial.

With the P85D, and knowing that Tesla Motors are in its infancy of design, production, releases...

... the end of ICE is really only a few years away.

? How could anyone - in their right mind - buy a Panamera, M5, RS7 now ?

So should this be updated to show 3.1 seconds for the Tesla Model S P85D? It currently shows 3.2.

i noticed that the car was half charged at 138 rated miles. looking at the energy chart, looks like they were doing their acceleration runs at that SOC.

i also bet the driver was a large dude.

being in California, it probably was warm.

i bet if you put a petite woman (like 90lbs) in there with a maxed out battery in a cold environment on Pilot Sport 21's.... that thing will run 2.9's.