Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another 12v battery bites the dust

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a warning on the screen to notify service that I had a 12v battery issue. Took it in, and they replaced it. This is my second replacement in about a year and a half. I thought this was something that had been solved, but maybe not. Replacing every year sounds like there is still an engineering or supply issue.

Got a warning on the screen to notify service that I had a 12v battery issue. Took it in, and they replaced it. This is my second replacement in about a year and a half. I thought this was something that had been solved, but maybe not. Replacing every year sounds like there is still an engineering or supply issue.

When was your first replacement done?

Mine was back in April, funny enough the day after they mentioned the problem on their earnings call. At that point they had not yet switched suppliers, so the replacement was a better qualified/tested version of the same battery, from the original supplier. A month or two later all batteries started being sourced from a different, better supplier.

When was your first replacement done?

Mine was back in April, funny enough the day after they mentioned the problem on their earnings call. At that point they had not yet switched suppliers, so the replacement was a better qualified/tested version of the same battery, from the original supplier. A month or two later all batteries started being sourced from a different, better supplier.

First one was April or May 2013

I got my car in August 2013 and just had the same issue last month. Warning popped up saying 12V needs service and they replaced it for me. Seems like the battery lasted about a year for me as well.

I got my car in August 2013 and just had the same issue last month. Warning popped up saying 12V needs service and they replaced it for me. Seems like the battery lasted about a year for me as well.
My VIN is within a few digits of yours and the service center proactively replaced my 12V battery last month. I didn't get a warning, but they saw something wrong when they were checking the logs about a message that a download didn't complete.

If you count the swap done just before my delivery, I have had 3 replacements, and am on my 4th 12V battery in a little over 2 years.

Let's face it, the current design of the Tesla is really hard on the 12V batteries. The vampire is literally sucking the blood out of them. Every one of those discharge/charge cycles feeding the vampire sucks a little life out of the 12V battery. Suck enough blood (battery cycles), and the 12V battery dies... It used to be worse, but until Tesla tames the vampire load, the MS will continue to eat 12V batteries.

Does Tesla even use temperature compensation for the 12V charge Voltages? For constant use, deep cycle applications, temperature compensation can add greatly to battery life; charge Voltages on a 12V lead-acid battery change -0.3V/10˚C, leading to undercharging in the winter and overcharging in the summer if not compensated.

does anybody know the exact 12V battery make/model they use? just curious so I could look up specs. I've been wanted to put an aftermarket amp/sub in but my concern is the affect it would have on the 12V battery and not sure it can handle it another amp sucking juice (though I know many others here have already done this and I haven't heard of any problems yet...)

Sigh..... (again)

53565a4eb4143247bf617cb47cbd0bfd.jpg

another bad 12v

My warning came on last week when I was out of town. Tesla service called to arrange an appointment for replacement. It will be my second replacement in 16 months. I'm not sure the exact date of the first replacement but probably about a year ago..

A Tesla Ranger came out to my house to replace the 12V battery today. Was at my door at 7:30 and gone by 9:00a. Totally convenient for me. I was not charged for the Ranger service; it seems as through Chicago has been pretty busy with cars in their service center.

Thanks, Tesla!

If you count the swap done just before my delivery, I have had 3 replacements, and am on my 4th 12V battery in a little over 2 years.

Let's face it, the current design of the Tesla is really hard on the 12V batteries. The vampire is literally sucking the blood out of them. Every one of those discharge/charge cycles feeding the vampire sucks a little life out of the 12V battery. Suck enough blood (battery cycles), and the 12V battery dies... It used to be worse, but until Tesla tames the vampire load, the MS will continue to eat 12V batteries.

Does Tesla even use temperature compensation for the 12V charge Voltages? For constant use, deep cycle applications, temperature compensation can add greatly to battery life; charge Voltages on a 12V lead-acid battery change -0.3V/10˚C, leading to undercharging in the winter and overcharging in the summer if not compensated.

I'm with you. I believe vampire load is certainly the main underlying reliability issue with the 12V battery. A "better battery" (deep cycle, high quality,...) will help delay the eventual wear out, but it's inevitable under the prevailing vampire load. My particular vehicle is losing of the order of 5 to 7 miles per day, which amounts to somewhere between 1 and 2kWh of energy. That’s consistent with other owners on the forums — some more, some less. Taking the low end of the vampire load, that's equivalent to 1,000 watt hours per day / 24 hours per day = 40W continuous. It amounts to 3.5A continuously from the 12V battery to power the electronics. That's HUGE, and frankly, disgraceful, for the high tech marvel of modern engineering that is the Model S. Modern electronics, in a well designed system, with competent software should be able to achieve an order of magnitude less vampire drain than that. Until that is addressed, I believe we'll continue to see premature wear out and replacement of 12V batteries in the field.

I had the 12V battery warning on Saturday... Tesla was out on Sunday to do the replacement :smile:. Unfortunately, we noted some cabin heating problems and plug acting flacky (car wouldn't lock the plug when it was inserted). So they are coming to pick it up Friday - 3rd time my car will be taken away and I will be driving an Enterprise rental. Asked about a loaner, and was told none were available especially since Tesla is busy selling them all.

I recently had my 12V battery replaced as well. I don't recall it ever getting replaced before. My car was delivered 2/2013.

Mine was an odd situation. On 11/6 I dropped my car off to get a faulty TPMS sensor replaced and when I get to the service center and they are about to start the car the 12V message comes on and poof the car can't start. They had to push it into the shop. Good thing it happened at the shop. Turns out there was some sort of problem with my main battery pack that caused and issue with the 12V.

Are these recent 12V issues possibly related to Version 6 of the software?