Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

recent service visit now different problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brought the car in for a few mostly minor repairs. Rear passenger door handle would'nt activate door knobs, braking vibes. Was told they were results of software upgrade problems.
Now the rear window opens about 3 inches by itself. In NY had a big rainstorm roll through and opened overnight ans soaked inside rear seat. I checked before going to bed and it was closed. I also noticed that my driving range has gone down significantly. My normal 90 mile drive took 140 miles of range and normal would be 105. Traffic was non factor. Also suprised to not find my charging cable in the car luckily the J adaptor was there or I would have been stuck.

Any reasons for window opening by itself, it happened 3 times yesterday.

Thanks

• Disagree
Reactions: The Long C_0_N
Brought the car in for a few mostly minor repairs. Rear passenger door handle would'nt activate door knobs, braking vibes. Was told they were results of software upgrade problems.
Now the rear window opens about 3 inches by itself. In NY had a big rainstorm roll through and opened overnight ans soaked inside rear seat. I checked before going to bed and it was closed. I also noticed that my driving range has gone down significantly. My normal 90 mile drive took 140 miles of range and normal would be 105. Traffic was non factor. Also suprised to not find my charging cable in the car luckily the J adaptor was there or I would have been stuck.

Thanks

Can't speak to the window issue but the range one is probably related to the temperature dropping in the last week.

MY range drop was only related to driving. No preheating. Seems like almost a 50% increase in power used.
Now the window opened again right after opening and closing the door. This seems to be the trigger.
Thanks for replies

MY range drop was only related to driving. No preheating. Seems like almost a 50% increase in power used.
Now the window opened again right after opening and closing the door. This seems to be the trigger.
Thanks for replies

Doug_G is saying that if it's colder, you should pre-heat the car BEFORE leaving. This will heat your battery using shore power. If you don't do this, as you just indicated, then the energy to heat your battery will come from the battery - not the wall - and will reduce your range. It's always best, on cold days, to pre-heat your car while it's plugged-in and before you leave.

Doug_G is saying that if it's colder, you should pre-heat the car BEFORE leaving. This will heat your battery using shore power. If you don't do this, as you just indicated, then the energy to heat your battery will come from the battery - not the wall - and will reduce your range. It's always best, on cold days, to pre-heat your car while it's plugged-in and before you leave.

Right. In many cases preheating before driving will allow you to just use the seat heaters, which take almost no energy. Also if you trip is relatively short (25 miles or so) use range mode (from the setting menu).

Thanks

Doesn't sound like anyone else is experiencing the windows opening unexpectedly. Let us know what your service center says - I assume you're contacting them in the morning?

Doesn't sound like anyone else is experiencing the windows opening unexpectedly. Let us know what your service center says - I assume you're contacting them in the morning?

Well...not exactly. We've experienced at least 2-3 episodes of spontaneous window openings involving the front passenger window of our Model S as well – sometimes it's partial (~3 in), other times it's been all the way down. Since the events are so rare and not reproducible in any way I know of, I have not report it to our local service center. Anyway, with software v6.0's new bug reporting feature, it should be easier to track down these random bugs in the future.

Thanks and I did get that. There was no need for that since the car was in garage before I left. And I do use preheat while hooked up. Another seemingly strange thing happened too. While looking at the instument cluster there was an amber dotted line that stayed on while applying the brake. While this was happening I noticed that there was no green light only amber while braking. After stopping at the store that disappeared and started to be green again.

Thanks and I did get that. There was no need for that since the car was in garage before I left. And I do use preheat while hooked up. Another seemingly strange thing happened too. While looking at the instument cluster there was an amber dotted line that stayed on while applying the brake. While this was happening I noticed that there was no green light only amber while braking. After stopping at the store that disappeared and started to be green again.

That amber dotted line is showing you that regen is limited because the battery is cold.

Well...not exactly. We've experienced at least 2-3 episodes of spontaneous window openings involving the front passenger window of our Model S as well – sometimes it's partial (~3 in), other times it's been all the way down. Since the events are so rare and not reproducible in any way I know of, I have not report it to our local service center. Anyway, with software v6.0's new bug reporting feature, it should be easier to track down these random bugs in the future.

Are you positive your knee didn't accidentally hit the button? I've opened a window or two accidentally with my knee, and was convinved at first that the window opened on its own.

Are you positive your knee didn't accidentally hit the button? I've opened a window or two accidentally with my knee, and was convinved at first that the window opened on its own.

I think it's unlikely. While not completely discounting that possibility, my knee does not typically rest in that area. Since I'm in the car everyday, one would think that if this is the mechanism of window opening, it should happen at a far greater frequency than what I've experienced so far. The angle would be wrong as well to depress that button. Bottom line is, I'm not sure what causes it.

That definitely was not the case with me. I was in the house and my wife was next to the car the last time it happened. It is the same door that needed the door handle repaired. After more thought I wonder if the window got misaligned and that caused it to open.

Last edited:

Your battery can still be cold enough to require heating even if it's in an enclosed garage. I believe the battery needs to be heated if the temperature falls below 50F.