Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster the fastest "production" car in the world ....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cobos

Model S owner since 2013
Supporting Member
Jun 22, 2007
Oslo, Norway
....in reverse :)

This is a thing that has bugged me. Since the TR has a reverse that is just reversing the engine shouldn't it have exactly the same specs for top speed and acceleration in reverse as forward ? Even if I suppose they've electronicly locked it I'm pretty sure there are no other cars that can accelerate upto 60mph in for seconds going backwards...

Cobos

That doesn't sound very safe. If I were them I think I would have the ECU limit speed in reverse to something like 25mph. Also, it would probably be good to have the pedal input (torque requested) dulled a bit to make sure reverse acceleration is very intentional.

(Of course there would be some way to bypass the software for stunt drivers in movies...)

Don't get me wrong, I expect them to limit the reverse speed as if not this would probably lead to some really spectacular crashes if someone was doing 100mph backwards... Just imagine someone being drunk and deciding this sounds like a terrific idea :)
The interesting bit here is that if this is mechanicly possible it would make an interesting point for the marketing guys. And an interesting part to set the vehicle apart from other exotic sport cars.

Cobos