Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a current vehicle the size AND shape of the X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BerTX

Supporting Member
May 2, 2014
Texas/Washington
I don't mean competitors or price range or performance or luxury level -- is there a vehicle of similar size and shape?

I have seen (sorry, no reference) that the Model X will be 4-5 inches longer than the Model S, which would put it in the 200 inch length range. I see a number of vehicles in that range like the Ford Flex, Buick Enclave and Mazda CX9, but those are more squared rear shapes like a standared SUV.

I saw a BMW X6 up close for the first time the other day, and that, to me, was more like the shape I expect for the MX. But the X6 is a full 8 inches shorter than the 200 inch expectation.

Comparisons to the Porsche Cayenne, to me, are more of a price/performance/market comparison than a physical one -- it is both 9 inches shorter AND squared off.

Is there a current slopey-back, 200 inch long crossover vehicle?

Q7 Size

If the X is 200 inches, it will be the same body length of the Audi Q7. Also if the height of the X is 3-5 inches higher than the Model S, the body size will be very close to the Q7...perfect EV replacement for my Audi Q7. It is slightly longer and higher than the base Audi A6 chassis but longer than the VW and Porsche variants. improving carry capacity and having 3rd row, if needed.

Unlike truck based SUVs, the handling should be more car like. This is important for handling and maneuvering. Getting around parking lots or traveling down an Interstate, the car chassis makes the handling and comfort pleasant IMHO.

Now we can await the X's shape and contours. Hope "SOON" will come soon!

My X will replace an Explorer which is a similar length (197") but higher and more squared-off.

lead2-2012-ford-explorer-ecoboost-fd.jpg

As a frame of reference how about a BMW 5 Series GT? Personally I think it's a hideous vehicle but the dimensions fit - 197" long, 61" high, 120" wheelbase and 'slopey'.

bmw_5-series_gran-turismo_draw_09.jpg

If the X is 200 inches, it will be the same body length of the Audi Q7. Also if the height of the X is 3-5 inches higher than the Model S, the body size will be very close to the Q7...perfect EV replacement for my Audi Q7. It is slightly longer and higher than the base Audi A6 chassis but longer than the VW and Porsche variants. improving carry capacity and having 3rd row, if needed.

Unlike truck based SUVs, the handling should be more car like. This is important for handling and maneuvering. Getting around parking lots or traveling down an Interstate, the car chassis makes the handling and comfort pleasant IMHO.

Now we can await the X's shape and contours. Hope "SOON" will come soon!

I remember Elon saying somewhere he owns a Q7 himself, so inspiration there, maybe. :)

Then again, Q7 is by now a fairly conservative example of the German premium SUV, so size-wise it isn't alone. Clearly Model X is targeting this demographic.

My goodness the Q7 is starting to look old, though, the design is a decade old by now having launched in 2005 and being based on a prototype from 2003 (Audi Pikes Peak Quattro).

One more note, for those who may not own a Tesla yet, the one thing that really can surprise you in a Tesla - Model X included I assume - is the amount of extra space you get from a like of ICE and its plumbing (transmission, exhaust, center axle). The battery slate under a Tesla Model S and assumedly X and the AC motor(s) have minimal effect on interior space.

So assume superior legroom and trunk depth (as well as the frunk, of course) compared to a similarly sized ICE SUV, like the Audi Q7.

As a frame of reference how about a BMW 5 Series GT? Personally I think it's a hideous vehicle but the dimensions fit - 197" long, 61" high, 120" wheelbase and 'slopey'.

View attachment 62871

That seems close! Odd that BMW has two vehicles that appear so similar as the 5-series GT and X6. Maybe they don't look so similar in person? What is a little distressing is that they are both considered (at least in the articles I skimmed) to be considered odd ducks and vehicles of a style or niche without any real demand.