Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who prefers a Model 3 station wagon?

What do you want?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the US, stations wagons are not popular, having been replaced by SUVs (which I do not like). Because of non existent demand, Tesla could never make a station wagon work based on US interest. I know the rest of the world thinks differently. Today in the US, BMW only offers a 3 series wagon, with your choice of gas or diesel 4-cylinder engine. One of our cars currently is a 15 year old BMW 540iT (station wagon) so I do appreciate them. I have been told by BMW executives that the V8 equipped 5 series station wagon was one of the rarest vehicles to be imported into the USA in modern times due to the extremely low demand. This is the car I am considering replacing with an S. Similar characteristics of performance with lots of space. Just need to convince the SO.

No. Could you elaborate?

The Model 3 is the "sedan" of Gen-III just like Model S is the "sedan" of Gen-II. For CUV's - crossover utility vehicle - they will make the Model X for the Gen-II, and a new model for the Gen-III. It's assumed to be called "Model Y". Yes, Tesla has a trademark for that name, registered at the same time the registered "Model E" - that later had to be replaced by "Model 3".

It may take some time, but if you wish - and no other remember where it was mentioned - I can find a link to somewhere that Elon is talking about the Gen-III CUV. I just don't have that links in my head or bookmarks :p

Edit:
Here you can see other mention it:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/22982-Gen-III-summary
SUV - a genIII platform SUV smaller than the Model X was confirmed 30-May-2013 by Tesla

Last edited:
That link does not mention "Model Y". :tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

The Model 3 is the "sedan" of Gen-III just like Model S is the "sedan" of Gen-II. For CUV's - crossover utility vehicle - they will make the Model X for the Gen-II, and a new model for the Gen-III. It's assumed to be called "Model Y". Yes, Tesla has a trademark for that name, registered at the same time the registered "Model E" - that later had to be replaced by "Model 3".

It may take some time, but if you wish - and no other remember where it was mentioned - I can find a link to somewhere that Elon is talking about the Gen-III CUV. I just don't have that links in my head or bookmarks :p /...
Source please. :tongue:

Last edited:
I absolutely want a wagon. The S is already a little space challenged in the back (unacceptable headroom, not very versatile rear). I fear shrinking that makes things worse.

I like the size of my sportwagen. The only thing that might improve it would be making it a little higher.

I really like the Mercedes EB. It'd be fantastic if they patterned it after that car.

VehicleYearNotes
Roadster2008-12Lotus Elise chassis; 2,400 sold
Model S sedan2012Approx. 20,000 built so far
Model X crossover2015Full production scheduled early 2015
Gen III sedan2016Compact sedan might wait until 2017
Gen III crossover2018Planned for 18 months after sedan
Model S redesign20208-year sheet-metal cadence
Gen III sports car2020Lower priority than sedan/crossover
Gen III convertible2020Arrives with the sports car
Pickup?Musk says he wants one; no r&d yet
Source: Tesla sources

You find it here:
http://www.autonews.com/article/201...ns-will-stretch-tesla-beyond-its-comfort-zone

Last edited:
I absolutely want a wagon. The S is already a little space challenged in the back (unacceptable headroom, not very versatile rear). I fear shrinking that makes things worse.

I like the size of my sportwagen. The only thing that might improve it would be making it a little higher.

I really like the Mercedes EB. It'd be fantastic if they patterned it after that car.

I do also want a wagon. But I'm afraid they think the CUV's take care of that marked.... But I don't want a SUV/CUV :p

I'd rather a 4 door + hatchback (aka 5 door hatchback) but I'd be OK with a 4 door + hatch wagon (5 door wagon) if it were near the hatchback sizing.

The difference between a hatchback and a station wagon isn't obvious to all. Old school station wagons didn't have much head room but had plenty of leg room. Hatchbacks tend to be more balanced / taller than a wagon but lower than a minivan/SUV/crossover.

In other words I want the increased cargo flexibility of the rear hatch vs a trunk but I don't need the car to be much bigger because of that. I definately don't want to sacrifice range to a wagon design that has worse aero cd or higher weight just to allow for that increased cargo capacity.

So if you are asking if I want a trunk vs a hatch? The answer is simple I do want a hatch, I just don't know if what I want is a hatchback or a wagon.

Would you consider a Subaru Forester a wagon or a hatchback? Whatever you call it thats what I want, only with electric power and 200+ mile range. And make sure it has AWD for sure.